weatherproof box for stereo

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
I am wondering what people do to house their "inexpensive" stereos on their patio or deck? I basically have an old L/R stereo receiver and a pair of outdoor speakers and was wanting to use a box that I wouldnt have to bother getting in and out of all the time when I was going in for the night, etc. I was wanting some sort of a weatherproof box with front access/door to get to the controls and CD player/changer.

For less than $100 you can get an outdoor wireless speaker system; transmitter, two speakers and remote control. The transmitter hooks up to virtually any sound source you can imagine. I've had several different kinds of over many years and this is the very best I've ever had. Virtually no interference from any source. I, also, have the floating/waterproof ball and the headphones that I use every night when DH wants to go to sleep while I'm still watching TV. I wear the headphones if I'm working outside and don't want to crank up the sound on speakers as I get away from the house.

The transmitters and speaker/headphone/floating ball receiver are all interchangeable. The headphone transmitter is also the base for charging the headphones. The speakers are battery operated or plug in. Ball, you have to put batteries in. I use rechargeable. We use that in the pool and spa.

Check it out. Reviews are many and good. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5WINO/ref=oss_product

gg=alice

I had a older Sony receiver that I wanted to use with my outdoor speakers and bought one of these from Sam's Club:
Suncast Serving Station Patio Cabinet
A standard receiver, or any other standard sized components fit perfect. I put the receiver in the top shelf and used a hole saw to cut a small opening in the back to feed the speaker wire through. The extra storage on the bottom always ends up being used for extra towels, sunscreen, etc.

The price has gone up considerably since I bought mine 3 years ago (about $80.00 shipped back then) but maybe you can find something similar.

It really depends on where it's going as to how you want to build it. Really, the appropriately sized rubbermade container with exit holes in it would work well. You could get one big enough so you have front access to the cd tray, and then you can put the lid on it when you're done. If you have ross/tj maxx around, you'd be surprised at what you might find that would work.

If you put it in any type of enclosure, though, make sure you leave the top off when you're running it, especially with older units, they'll burn themselves out in a hurry.

I'm getting ready to get my stuff setup, and my plan of attack is actually going to be using marine setups they use in boats. You can get some cheap stereos that way with cd players built in, or to just run an ipod through.

I like that idea. $66 is hard to beat, plus lots of options for speakers then since you're not paying for it.

You can pick up a 12v adapter almost anywhere, but keep the power connections in mind too, they'll need to be water tight.

You might be better off with a marine stereo though, the sound quality will likely be better (reviews aren't great on the sound quality.)

Take a look over at home theater direct (htd.com) for speaker options. I have a ton of their stuff in my house, and it's awesome for the price.

What kind of system do you have inside? The reason I ask is bc I have an indoor receiver with 2 zones. Zone one is for inside/TV/DVD etc... Zone 2 is for outside. I have 2 hard wired speakers under the patio cover but you can also use wireless speakers out there. When I want outdoor music or TV sound I just turn on zone 2. The great thing is that if someone is inside watching TV using zone 1, I can be outside using zone 2. Just fyi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have 2 receivers, one that is hooked up to the TV, DVR, ps3, etc. It does have a/b speaker selector, but I would rather not use that one. I do have another receiver, just your basic 2-channel receiver with a/b speaker selector. This is the one I was going to use for the pool area. I bought some rock speakers on clearance to go with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.