Cheap Retaining Wall for "Buried" AGP

Aug 28, 2009
Picking up my "new" 15x30' AGP this weekend. I got a smokin' deal on it, and it's only 3 years old. So, a new liner, and I'm good to go.

I'm going to be integrating the pool into a new backyard design, and want to "bury" the pool. I put that in quotes as my ultimate plan is actually to just over dig by 3-4 feet on all sides and sit the pool in the hole, without back filling it to the edge. Then, I'll build the deck right up to the edge as if it were buried, and pier blocking the deck legs near the pool walls (with accesses of course.)

My soil is like clay, when we dug my basement, it looked like someone actually chiseled it out. I have a 3' wall behind my shop that we didn't do any retaining on, and unless you try to climb up it, it never moves.

But, I'm considering building a retaining wall for the pool, just in case, and looking for really cheap options. It matters not what it looks like as it'll be under the deck.

Anyone have any advice?

BTW, I have 5 acres, plenty of room for the hole, the pool, and I have places to put the extra dirt, so that's not a big deal.

Thanks. RR Ties are pretty spendy around here, around $10 per 8' one. I'm considering just pouring my own concrete wall (I've done similar concrete work.) If we ever took the pool out, we'd just break the wall and bury it. I still need to calculate the materials.

I'm highly considering just digging and no wall, but I'm not sure. I could over dig enough that even with moderate collapse, it wouldn't be an issue.

haybird said:
If you do decide to do a wall, remember to use Big O and gravel for drainage in front of the wall.
Things just tend to push without drainage.

what is big o? (in this context... ;-))

I assume you mean to do gravel from the base of the pool to the wall, right?

big-O is 4" black drainage pipe that you would lay at the base of the retaining wall(if you do one). Its plastic an perforated,
and when backfilled allows the water to drain around the wall not against it. I guess its called something different in your area.

Cost on this one was essentially free. Tires are filled with #57 rock.

Post back if you want more info.
[attachment=0:zvvwxzib]ret_wall.jpg[/attachment:zvvwxzib]

Attachments

• ret_wall.jpg
    ret_wall.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 494
Well, now I've seen almost everything. I live in the redneck capitol of the world and that's the first retaining wall made of tires I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of other things made of used tires but not a retaining wall. Pretty darned ingenious!

When I was a kid, and Recycling was the "new thing" they were making all sorts of things out of old tires.

Our school's playground used shredded tires for "mulch" and had a climbing jungle-gym thingy made out of them. That was in the 70's in Chicago. :) oops, 'dating myself here....

I did what you are proposing, also with a 15X30 AGP. I found some cheap used railroad ties (hate cutting creosote soaked wood! stuff is nasty) and retained the dirt/clay, backfilling the wall with gravel and lining with corrogated plastic drainage hose. Graded the area between the pool and wall so water would drain North-South, following the natural grade of the lot. Put a few inches of stone on it so erosion wouldn't wash out under the pool walls. Built the deck up to and just over the rail (beaded liner).

Here are some pix (the second shows a glimpse of the retaining wall).
done-agp-deck-solar-t17243.html
Kelly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kjcole said:
I did what you are proposing, also with a 15X30 AGP. I found some cheap used railroad ties (hate cutting creosote soaked wood! stuff is nasty) and retained the dirt/clay, backfilling the wall with gravel and lining with corrogated plastic drainage hose. Graded the area between the pool and wall so water would drain North-South, following the natural grade of the lot. Put a few inches of stone on it so erosion wouldn't wash out under the pool walls. Built the deck up to and just over the rail (beaded liner).

Here are some pix (the second shows a glimpse of the retaining wall).
done-agp-deck-solar-t17243.html
Kelly

That's awesome Kelly, thanks! You've already done pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do. Love the look.

Is that trex?

Is the "over the rail" configuration working out okay for you? I just picked up the pool today, and I'm trying to decide which way to go.

Did you just do an access hole for the skimmer basket? Love it!

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about the decks pictured.
I am also planning on decking around my soon to be installed AGP. As I think out the design, I'm wondering how to winter cover the pool and also change out the liner if the deck is built over the pool rail.
How do you guys and gals do it?
I have an AGP (smaller than the soon to be new one, of course) now with a small portion of deck built over the rail and I have to unscrew and remove the deck boards to expose the rails when I stretch the winter cover at the end of season.
Thanks

john.in.md said:
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about the decks pictured.
I am also planning on decking around my soon to be installed AGP. As I think out the design, I'm wondering how to winter cover the pool and also change out the liner if the deck is built over the pool rail.
How do you guys and gals do it?
I have an AGP (smaller than the soon to be new one, of course) now with a small portion of deck built over the rail and I have to unscrew and remove the deck boards to expose the rails when I stretch the winter cover at the end of season.
Thanks

My plan is to go with the Inground pool type covers, which use the pool deck as the "frame" for the cover, instead of the sides. I still need to research them, but that's the plan so far. If you already have a nice liner, you should be able to do the same thing, but you might have to figure out how to secure it to the deck.

As far as access for liner replacement, since it's very rare you should have to do it, just make sure the 2-3 rows before the rail on the deck can easily be removed.

1. The white decking I used is a solid virgin vinyl (no wood products) called Pro-Cell. Expensive but outstanding performance. Cuts and drills beautifully (no mushrooming and and drill within 1/4 inch of the edge). I'm glad we went with it. Did I say it was expensive?

2. For now we're using the AGP cover that came with the pool package - I crawl under the deck and attach the cover via ropes/grommets to the deck posts (just enough clearance between the rail and joists for the cover). I'll switch to an IGP cover when the AGP cover gives up.

3. We love the 'over-the-rail' look to the deck, but I'm prepared for the possibility of partial dissassembly one day. I have a beaded liner so as long as the beaded receiver holds up I could change the liner without pulling up decking. However, if I have to change the receiver I'll be pulling up decking and 'revising' my joists to make future liner changes easier. Do beaded receivers last for more than one liner?

4. I cut an access panel for the skimmer and one for the multiport valve. Other filter/pump/valve maintenance requires a trip under the deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.