PAC can this be used in Pools?

May 19, 2009
Iv just been told of a floc which works better than Alumn known as PAC. Got to see the contents looked something like curry powder and brown slurry when mixed with water.... is this safe to use in pools and how does it compare to aluminum sulfate, i am being told its a better product. Can anyone explain?

PAC is polyaluminum chloride. Since it starts as a larger molecule, it is said to work more quickly than aluminum sulfate (6 hours vs 12-18 hours). Since the need to use of any kind of floc is extremely rare when following our recommendations, I don't have enough experience with it to comment on how it compares in practice.

It seems to be widely reported that about 80% of the chlorine used in your pool is used for oxidising bather waste compaired to 20% used for actually sanitising. Therefore if you remove the organics and bather waste by floculation it would reduce the chlorine usage. That's the theory but as Jason will tell you his chlorine usage figures are already very low so it may not be required unless you have clarity problems, do you?

If there are problems whether it is cheaper to use DE or Floc you will need to work out

Wanted to know if PAC is actually suitable for pools, seems very different from Alum iv used before. The solution that comes out PAC mixture is coffee colour and im having doubts if this is suitable.....

DE of course would be better however it is not availble were i live.

PAC may remove small physical particles and dead algae, but it may not actually remove bather waste chemicals such as monochloramine (formed from ammonia combining with chlorine) and urea or chlorourea. Even if it did move these to the filter, chlorine would still react with it unless you were to backwash to remove it.

Most chlorine loss in outdoor residential pools is due to the UV in sunlight, not from bather load. It is only in moderate-to-high bather load situations, such as in commercial/public pools, where the largest chlorine demand is bather load.

QUick Questions on PAC

Merged topics to maintain history. Butterfly

Does anyone know if overdosing with PAC will cause the water to cloud?

- I have been able to maintain crystal clear water with PAC for the past couple of weeks, with the exception of last week when i had folks coming over i noticed slight clouding and so happened to double dose PAC and seems that the situation has gotten worse afterwards.

- All chem levels are within range.

Input appreciated.

If everything was working correctly, the water wouldn't get cloudy in the first place. PAC treats the symptoms, not the cause. You need to figure out what is causing the water to get cloudy in the first place.

You should do an overnight FC loss test and post a full set of water test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.