Scale deposits on 24' ag pool

Apr 8, 2010
Hi,
I'm new to posting to this forum but have used the info for some time to maintain my 24'x 52" deep ag pool. This year after a winter of neglect, I emptied and refilled my pool with water from my well with a water softener on it. Before refilling, I failed to remove all of the scale deposits on the walls of the pool and am now wondering what to do.. I reduced the ph to below 6.5 and using the pool calculator and a cheap test kit these are my numbers

FC 1
PH below 6.8
TA 40
CH 120
CYA 0

the water is cloudy with a hint of green blue and and has dead algae floating in it-out of filter tank I am guessing. How do I proceed.....Want the scale off......will keeping the ph down eventually eat it off and reabsorb into the water? Or should I balance and add chemical to remove? Can i balance, keep scale and wait it out? Should I use a flocculant to sink debris?

I know its alot but.....thx a million for the help...........have read lots of posts but not specific to my prob.
Saundra

Sometimes you can simply scrape scale off of a vinyl liner, use something that isn't sharp like a plastic pancake turner. The vinyl has a little flex to it, while the scale doesn't, so usually they can be separated.

If you keep the PH very low for long enough, eventually all of the scale will redissolve into the water. However, the low PH will shorten the lifetime of the liner, and if you have a heater with a copper heat exchange coil you definitely don't want to leave the PH low for very long as low PH will dissolve the copper into the water.

thx for the replies..............no I do not have a heater.......so copper not an issue.............will try pancake turner............have tried plastic bristle brush............just after 24 hours seems to loosening some with fingernail...since it is cool may leave ph alone for moment....know it won't balance but can I shock it to keep algae from growing.....have added chlorine but not cya yet.....didnt know how effective it would be since have knocked ph down so low.........will continue to filter out dead algae and try again begginning of next week unless get better advice here :-D

Adding chlorine will slightly increase the PH but I don't think it will be enough to reduce the effects of loosening the scale. I honestly think you should tackle one thing at a time though - work on the scale for a few more days and then adjust the ph/TA, CYA and begin shocking next week.
Good luck! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.