Aqua Trol electrical question

KurtG

Feb 26, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I was wondering if someone that has an Aqua Trol could tell me how long the cords are and how far it can be installed from the pool? I did not see the information on the Hayward site/nor their owner manuals.

If I understand the electrical codes correctly, no receptacles are allowed within 5 ft of AGP wall. If between 5 and 10 ft I need a Twist-Lock receptacle/plug and the cord and not exceed 3'. If >10' I can use a 3-prong GFCI. I know Aquatrol comes in a 3-prong and TL form.

Our intended pool spot is pretty tight due to code setbacks, trees elsewhere, a shed, etc. The pump that came with the pool has a standard 3-prong plug with a 6' cord. So if I was to site a receptacle 10' away for the Aquatrol is that too far for the cords to reach the cell/flow switch???

Welcome to TFP!!

While I can't comment on the length of the Aqua Trol's cord (the 2 I deal with are hardwired, but I think the cords are ~ 3'), I can tell you some stuff you may or may not know about them :)

The unit has a standard 3 prong plug receptacle for your motor's plug and also a cool timer to allow you to set multiple run times for the pump, in 15 - 20 minute groupings :whoot:

Codes for electrical v.s. distance from pool vary from state to state and town to town, but you've got the gist of the national code (as of 2005 :roll: ) .

The cord from the cell is 12' (I just checked my tester cell's cord :wink: )

You can also add length to the plumbing to and from the pool to allow you to put the pump and filter wherever you want (upping the pipe size would help reduce the head loss - there are a couple members here that could help you determine the optimal pipe size v.s length of run/ pump HP/ filter size :cool: )

I hope this works out for your installation :)

Thanks. Hayward Technical did answer me back...

"The cell and flow switch have 15' cords that plug into the Trol control box. The outlet plug is 3' long so you should be able to meet the code requirements of keeping the control box 10 feet away from the pool."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.