loss to evaporation?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Florida had it's first few really hot days the last few days and my pool lost almost a foot of water over those two days.

I think it has to be because of evaporation, as the pool has been full of water for over a month at or near the full level and I'd barely lost more than an inch or two in that time. I don't think I could have a leak and there's no wet spots around the pool to indicate a cracked pipe. Pool water is currently 81 degrees. Could it really have evaporated 6 inches a day in 85+ degree heat with direct sunlight and no cover?

Is there any way to keep this from happening? Perhaps a chemical to put in or a cover of some kind?

Thanks guys!

Denis

A foot of water in two days is more water loss than I have every heard of happening due to evaporation. Extreme evaporation rates in unusually dry/hot conditions are typically less than 1/2 inch per day.

Currently I have a leak that only shows itself when the water table is low. I was losing 1-2 inches per day, then we got some heavy rains and the leak stopped. Now that its been dry again, the leak is starting back at about 1/2" per day. The leak was found to be around where the drain meets the plaster and the guy is supposed to come out today in his scuba gear to fix it. We had the same problem with the spa.

The phantom leak has returned. After this post nearly a month ago, I filled the pool back up to the middle of the skimmer mouth. I've been using the pool every day and the water level always stays about the same. I thought the leak had disappeared.

Then, this morning, it's back. I swam in the pool last night and when I got out, it was right at the same mid-skimmer-mouth level it always is. This morning (about 12 hours later), I let the dogs out and I was down almost 8" from the night before!

I turned the equipment off for the day to see if it continues to lose water. This is so strange!

Denis

During extended (all summer) 90 to 100+ days, "medium" humidity, with no splash out (no dogs or people using the pool) we usually have about 1" evaporation a day (hardly ever less than that); more loss with splash out. If it is over 2" I begin to suspect something else going on. During times when air temps stay 100+ for days to weeks more than 1" and humidity is a little lower usually (not as low as say Arizona but lower than many parts of the country). It's really hard to judge when there is a lot of splash out, but again, over 2" and I would start looking for another cause. We have a lot of wind year round that adds to evaporation.

Our humidity averages between 50-60 during daytime year round; on the lower end during summer.

Interesting website with average relative humidity for many cities in US.

http://www.cityrating.com/relativehumidity.asp

gg=alice

At this point, whatever is causing it to drain is still in action. Of course, I can't see bottom right now because of the dirt. I'll see how much of that I can get cleaned up and start doing leak tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the leak can only be in one of a few places. If the water level is at the light, it's below skimmers and all returns I presume? Do you have a main drain? Any other pipes like a cleaner/suction return? The pump is currently off? I suppose there could be a leak in the pool shell itself, but that is pretty rare.

Melt In The Sun said:
Looking again at your first thread here, I see you do have a main drain. If the water level in your first picture is where it equalizes (below the light and all other holes in the shell), your leak is probably there.

That's what I'm thinking. I was going to let it continue draining so I have less water to deal with when I'm cleaning the dirt out of the pool. Hopefully it stops leaking at some point so I can take a stab at whereever the problem it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.