I Desperately Need Your Help, Plumbing Issues :-(

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
I've started to have sewer issues. My lateral has been backed up and luckily we have sewer insurance which means they will snake the line for only $50 co-pay. But after about 10 hours of snaking out baby wipes (I don't have a baby) The line is still blocked up. They said the next step would be to use a large jet machine but as you can tell from the picture it seems I'm sharing a line with my rear neighbors (who are not having any sewer issues). Since they think it's a shared line the landlord of that building would need to sign off in writing any damage that may come from using the Jet [raw sewage flooding]. I'm thinking he won't sign off on the waiver since he's been reluctant to return my phone calls. So my question is, how would you solve this issue. Please feel free to think outside the box; also remember I am a pool guy so I do have access to plumbing, chemicals, and equipment.

BTW so far my best idea is to sweeten the deal with the landlord by installing a clean-out in his basement sewer line with a shutoff valve. Right now the sewer line in his basement doesn't have any type of access or clean-out to it and I would use the valve as a barrier to stop any sewer backup from reaching any toilets etc.

technical info.
I installed a 6" pvc clean-out outside my property and the sewer line in the ground is 6" terracotta
attached is an image of how the sewer lines run. ( my property ends at the sheer drop off in the image)
the estimated distance between my clean-out and probable blockage is about 90 feet.

Please, any advise is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Kevin,

Attachments

• sewer.jpg
    sewer.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 138
Why would you be sharing a line? That makes no sense to me.

How about the apartment; do they have kids. Could it be that something has backed UP in the line? Trees? Shrubs? Anything else that could be getting in between the line? Clay pipe can be problematic as well.....

Hope you get it figured out soon!

I know, when I found out it was a shared line i was like GREAT! (sarcasm). There are no other obstructions trees,etc. I'm fairly confident it's a large blockage of babywipes or something similar that has probably been building over time which is why of after 10 hours of removing that stuff the water still isn't flowing. The reason for sharing a line is not definite but the sewer authority said it still happens, since the sewer line needs to flow downhill going out the back of my house is the only direction I can go (unless i want to put in a pump station and go out the front which is going to be 1,500 just to hook up a new connection). Another person suggested that the previous owner may have owned both properties and connected the lines together to only pay for one connection to the sewer.

As far as I know, and I work for a municipality, the blockage is on THEIR property, therefore it is THEIR responsibility to clean it, and incur any costs in doing so.

With him refusing, you're in the position to sue for any damage it may cause.
And I agree, it is strange having them connected

Have you tried clearing it from the City side our your house side? I would contact the City and ask them how they would clean it. They might also have some footage of it when scoping from their main -- in my city they periodically take a look with a camera and often turn up into the private lines for a quick look -- most of that is captured on tape now, and you may learn something that way. If the City is not responsive and doesn't even try to help, you could file a claim against the City with "grounds" being that they have you sharing a line. It would almost certainly be denied, but it would force someone to look at it and perhaps be spurred to give you an effective solution. I'd save that for a second effort with the City though -- more flies with honey, especially when dealing with the City. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.