Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris booster pump with keyed motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris booster pump with keyed motor?

Another pump motor question...

I have a booster pump that appears to be a Polaris (PB4-60 maybe?).

The motor is labeled AO Smith SK1072 which is Nema-C flange 56C keyed.

Everywhere that I have seen replacement parts for polaris booster pumps calls out for threaded (not keyed) and specifically the B625 which is a 56CZ frame.

Is it possible that I have an older model?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Polaris booster pump with keyed motor?

All you need is a c-framed keyed shaft motor. You can purchase the type of motor at any pool retail spot. Just remember to specify the correct horsepower when you buy it.

3. Back To Top    #3

It is possible that you have an older model. I, like you, could only find manuals that referenced the threaded shaft units. The oldest one was dated 6/03 the newest one was 6/06. I didn't find anything newer or older than that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Bama, do you happen to know if the shaft seal and gaskets were the same on the keyed shaft version?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

The SK1072 has a 5/8" shaft and so far I can't find the dimensions for the B625 but it being a 56C frame means that it has a 5/8" shaft also. I'd say the seal & gaskets should fit but that's just a educated guess.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit