Clearing a Green Pool

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
So just for fun (no flaming!) I Googled "Clearing a Green Pool"... just to see what kind of information is out there.

It's all really, really bad information. Things that will ruin pool and filter equipment!. I was shocked, really shocked, at the amount of bad information that's out there. I can only hope that pool owners will find our site and read Pool School....

:google:

Yesterday I was in Walmart buying a floater, and the Arch chemical rep was there! stocking the shelves (they were relocating the entire display to a different area of the store). He asked if he could help me find anything. I asked if "HTH makes any tablets without copper in them?" (I already knew the answer, I was just messing with him) :mrgreen: :lol:

He grabbed a cannister of cal-hypo tablets and said "these are good - no copper, put 2 or 3 in your skimmer and 2-3 in the floater and that's all you'll need."

I said, "That's all i need? Really? But there's no CYA in them. What about CYA?" He said "What's CYA?" :shock:

I swear this is true. This really happened! :hammer:

I Said: "Stabilizer." "Oh, you really know your pool chemicals, don't you." Me: "Well, yes I guess I do, but I had to learn the hardway. And I don't want no stinkin copper in my pool!"

"Well, here just buy this jug of stabilizer instead. Then you can use these here tablets." Which I suppose I could have gone that route but I wanted trichlor tablets (Once my mind is made up I'm stubborn that way. I just want to have the floater and leave the solar cover off for a few weeks.) Plus aren't cal-hypo tablets really gooey and messy? Thought I read that here. He also said that the tablets won't dissolve in the skimmer if the pump is off...

"Well, where ya gonna find that?" (trichlor without copper). Me: "The Pool Store".
"Well, you know you'll pay more there." Me: "yes, but I won't have the copper." "What's wrong with the copper. It's an algaecide you know." Me: "Yes, I know, but it also turns hair green." "Green? Why, is your chlorine very high?" Me: "No, my chlorine is normal but blonde hair turns green from copper. I know this from past experience using the pool frog." "Whats a pool frog?" :roll: Me: "It's an ionizer. I have to get going, thanks. Have a nice day!" :wave:

Anyway just thought I'd share...

I was at the Pool Store yesterday getting a filter and had to wait in a long line while people were getting their water tested....the guy was telling them what all they needed to buy to get the pool clear.....all the same things they told me before I found this site.....one guy was paying $175.00 for all the Crud they recommended! I just wanted to tell them about this site.....maybe we should all carry a card with us and when people are in this situation with the pool, we can just whip it out! :wink:

skydiva44 said:
I was at the Pool Store yesterday getting a filter and had to wait in a long line while people were getting their water tested....the guy was telling them what all they needed to buy to get the pool clear.....all the same things they told me before I found this site.....one guy was paying $175.00 for all the **** they recommended! I just wanted to tell them about this site.....maybe we should all carry a card with us and when people are in this situation with the pool, we can just whip it out! :wink:

I write it on the back of one of my business cards... I do it often enough I should have it printed there on all my cards lol. :cheers:

Yes, Cal Hypo is messy. I just finished up using six I had left as I needed to add some CA to the pool anyway. I tried using it in a floater weeks back. They became a "gooey mess" stopping up the slits in the floater. For the skimmer I made the mistake of putting them in the skimmer sock; another mess and waste of the Cal Hypo. Under the skimmer sock, when pulling out the basket, lots of it fell out of the basket onto the deck ...... mess. The only reason I purchased it in first place was that was all Walmart had that didn't have copper, I needed to use a floater for a few weeks, and I was always chasing having enough CA with so much backwashing with my old filter.

If you don't have to clean out your skimmer sock on a daily basis it might all dissolve before you empty the skimmer next time. I have to empty skimmer at least once a day during the least debris times of year; much much more at other times so it doesn't have enough time to dissolve.

I don't think I'll be using it again.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.