Pump Strainer Housing/Lid

Apr 7, 2010
Jasper, Alabama
Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site and new to pool ownership. I've learned so much just today by browsing through this site. However, I don't see any links to the problem I'm having. I just purchased a home from a family memeber and the pool has been set up for about 10 years. It's an AG pool, 18,000 gallons. Last year the pump strainer housing and lid were replaced and ran fine. When he closed the pool, we drained the pump and sand filter but left all hoses attached. Drained the pool level down pass the return and covered. He said this is the process he does every year. I filled the pool almost to the top to allow for cleaning and backwashing. When I placed the lid on the pump strainer housing, I get lots of water leaking out from around the seal where the lid mets the housing. I did use the magic lube and even replaced the o-ring on the lid. There are no cracks in the lid or housing so at this point, I'm lost even more than when I began!! :hammer: Please help!!

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try that but the lid was new from last year and was placed in my laundry room over the winter. It was in a large mixing bucket with the strainer basket and a repair kit. No pressure because that's all that was in the bucket.. :?

Perhaps the o-ring is not seated properly in the groove in the housing.

Most pumps have a groove that the o-ring rests in. Mine is in the housing and the lid is then flat but yours could be grroved in the lid and flat on the housing...either way.

It may be that a tiny something has fallen into the groove and is keeping the o-ring from sealing smoothly.

Hello Duraleigh, thanks for the quick reply! My groove is in the lid. Hopefully I'll figure this thing out soon or I'm gonna loose my head. So far pool ownership has been a headache!! After replacing the o-ring, even though the housing was new last year, I went and bought a new one ($90) thinking it might have been damaged over the winter but got the same problem. I took that housing back along with the lid and the guy at the pool store was just as confused as me. He said the lid looked perfect and the o-ring was new and the housing so he didn't know anything else to replace but did suggest to purchase a new pump and housing. My pump works fine so I'm not so inclined to go to that extent yet. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Oh, I forgot...Welcome to the forum!! :lol: :lol:

Is it possible the leak is occuring not quite where you think it is? is the intake hose (connecting the pool and the pump - I don't know if yours is rigid or flex) connected correctly? Examine very carefully for the source of the leak.

If you're still convinced it's at the junction of the lid and housing, there's not much else that can go wrong there other than what you've already diagnosed.....I'm stumped.

hI Duraleigh, Thanks! I've certainly learned a lot just in one day.

I'm pretty sure the leak is the lid unless another leak could make the water come out of the rim of the housing where the lid mets. It's very clear that the water is coming out of that part. It's leaking all around the lid and when the filter is running, it pushs out of that area with force and shoots it out. So agervating!!! :rant:

Does it leak with the pump off? More with the pump on? Does the o-ring fit in a manner that makes you feel it is the correct size? Does the lid lock in place properly? It is something very simple at that spot but I can't figure out what it is.

Just conjecturing here...

Does the lid screw on, or does it have bolts through a couple of ears? If it bolts down, maybe the threads are rusty or corroded and while it feels like they're really tight, they may just be bottomed out? There were no washers or anything that you stored for the season that got misplaced?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Morning all. The pump housing and lid are Hayward. I went to the pool supply and purchased the new o-ring and it appears to be the same as the one that was previously on there. The lid twist and locks into place, no screws or bolts. Someone here at work suggested that I may not be closing it completely and to try and use a hammer and SLIGHTY tap on the little notches and try to close it more tightly. I'm gonna try this as soon as I get some time and see if it works. I may leave work early today and as soon as I try, I'll post a response. :?: :?: :?:

Becky,

Before you tap on the lid (I'm not crazy about that) tell me if it leaks with the pump on or off.

Pump running, the lid should seal even if the lid is completely unlocked. the low pressure the pump produces keeps the lid pulled down tight.

Pump off, the lid needs to be locked but hand tight is adequate with a proper seal.

Hello all, the lid is leaking both when the pump is on and off. I tried lubing up the o-ring a lot more and tapping the lid to the close position but still leaking. I called the pool supply and spoke with one of their girls that services pools on a daily bases. She ask me how easy it was for me to insert the lid and close it and I told her it was very easy, required little to no pressure to insert and close. She seems to think the lid could be damaged. :? I'm not sure but does seem that it should fit tighter. So, I've ordered a new lid. How would I go about checking the pump pressure? It seems to sound like it is running correctly. There is a gauge on there but what am I looking for?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice, it's lots of help for a newbie like me!!!

If you can, look at an exploded view diagram of your pump and make sure that all the parts are there and in place.

A strainer lid should fit very snugly. Since the lid was in place last season and reassembled this season, it just sounds to me as if there's a part missing.

If you have a model number for your pump, you can find such a diagram on Hayward's web site.

Hello all and thanks for the advice! There is a pressure gauge on there and my cousin (whom owned the home and pool prior to me) came over to try and see what was going on and he looked at the gauge (along with everything else) and said it was fine. I have gone online and looked at the diagram of the pump, the only parts to the lid and housing are the o rings which all are in place and are new. Hopefully it's a problem with the lid since it goes on so easy and closes so easy. The new lid had to be ordered and will be in Wednesday. Can't believe this has been going on for 2 weeks now. I hope pool ownership isn't always such a pain... :hammer: :rant: :hammer:

Question... The pump and motor are Dynamo which are about 3 years old. The housing and lid are new from the beginning of last season. Is it possible to remove the housing on the pump and be done with it. There is the other strainer basket on the side of the pool that feeds into the leaking housing and goes to the sand filter. However when vacuuming, the basket in the strainer on the pool has to be removed. Just a though but I'm thinking the answer is no...

bbecky75 said:
O, here's a photo of the pump. This is almost the exact housing except mine doesn't have those rings on the outside of the housing.

Thanks for any advice!! :-D

Does the lid top screw down into the basket? My Challanger pump basket was similar to yours. I usually replaced the lid every few years becuase of sandy grit messing up the plastic screw channels on the lid. It was especially prone to getting gritty when I vacuumed the pool using suction. I had to clean the screw channels on basket and top, and the o-ring, very well to get a good seal without having to screw it down so tightly that it was hard to get off. Over the years, MOST, pool people who did any work out here, screwed the lid on so tightly I had to use a big crow bar to get the lid off. More than once I made someone come back out here to open it and one had to replace one he broke getting it off. It really ticked me off major and I'm sure shortened the life of the lids and probably o-rings.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.