New pool. I have filter questions

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
Ok, looking over a few post, did I read right when some of you had your cartridge filters for a few years?

I have a Pentair 125sqft pump and a Hayword Filter.

The pool builders recommended cleaning the filter every month or when the PSI hits 10(?) on the meter. This would give me 12-14 months on a filter if I clean it with water well.

A local store (Pinch A Penny) recommends cleaning the filter weekly and at the same time frame for a new filter.

Now I swore I read guys here with filters lasting years and cleaning with dish washing soap or some chemicals?

Really, just soap and rise well will keep it super clean?

I am a newbie so I am scanning these forums and learning as much as I can.

lbridges said:
When you're new to an Internet forum I understand it's hard to figure out who knows their stuff and who doesn't

this thread: how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html is very good
Thanks, I read that thread and was shocked on how long people kept their filters.

I will just go off advice and comments in there. Its seems like weekly cleaning is overkill.

Weekly is overkill. I'm on my second filter in 9 years. I clean it once or twice during the season and then at the end of the year before storing for the winter.

This may be more often at first with your new pool but once things settle down to normal you should be able to go at least 6 weeks between cleanings, if not longer. Do you have a heater? That's how I know when my filter is dirty, not from the pressure gauge but the heater flow switch is sensitive and the heater won't kick in if the filter is dirty.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Weekly is overkill. I'm on my second filter in 9 years. I clean it once or twice during the season and then at the end of the year before storing for the winter.

This may be more often at first with your new pool but once things settle down to normal you should be able to go at least 6 weeks between cleanings, if not longer. Do you have a heater? That's how I know when my filter is dirty, not from the pressure gauge but the heater flow switch is sensitive and the heater won't kick in if the filter is dirty.

No heater, thanks

I pretty much follow the same routine as Frustrated. My filter set up has 4 cartridges and I clean them twice during the season then at winter shut down. The gauge is hard at times to go by as mine stays at 10 psi unless I turn up my pump to speed 4. My heater is also good in detecting the need for filter cleaning as it will pause before firing up and displaying a message to clean them. As long as you take care of the cartridges they are said to last for quit a while. Hope this helps.

Chris

How often you need to clean the filter varies rather dramatically depending on the relative size of the filter and the pool. A large filter small pool can go as long as a year between cleanings, a small filter large pool can need cleaning weekly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.