Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool. I have filter questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool. I have filter questions

Ok, looking over a few post, did I read right when some of you had your cartridge filters for a few years?

I have a Pentair 125sqft pump and a Hayword Filter.

The pool builders recommended cleaning the filter every month or when the PSI hits 10(?) on the meter. This would give me 12-14 months on a filter if I clean it with water well.

A local store (Pinch A Penny) recommends cleaning the filter weekly and at the same time frame for a new filter.

Now I swore I read guys here with filters lasting years and cleaning with dish washing soap or some chemicals?

Really, just soap and rise well will keep it super clean?

I am a newbie so I am scanning these forums and learning as much as I can.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool. I have filter questions

When you're new to an Internet forum I understand it's hard to figure out who knows their stuff and who doesn't

this thread: how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html is very good
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by lbridges
    When you're new to an Internet forum I understand it's hard to figure out who knows their stuff and who doesn't

this thread: how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html is very good
    Thanks, I read that thread and was shocked on how long people kept their filters.

I will just go off advice and comments in there. Its seems like weekly cleaning is overkill.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

4. Back To Top    #4

Weekly is overkill. I'm on my second filter in 9 years. I clean it once or twice during the season and then at the end of the year before storing for the winter.

This may be more often at first with your new pool but once things settle down to normal you should be able to go at least 6 weeks between cleanings, if not longer. Do you have a heater? That's how I know when my filter is dirty, not from the pressure gauge but the heater flow switch is sensitive and the heater won't kick in if the filter is dirty.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Weekly is overkill. I'm on my second filter in 9 years. I clean it once or twice during the season and then at the end of the year before storing for the winter.

This may be more often at first with your new pool but once things settle down to normal you should be able to go at least 6 weeks between cleanings, if not longer. Do you have a heater? That's how I know when my filter is dirty, not from the pressure gauge but the heater flow switch is sensitive and the heater won't kick in if the filter is dirty.
    No heater, thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

I pretty much follow the same routine as Frustrated. My filter set up has 4 cartridges and I clean them twice during the season then at winter shut down. The gauge is hard at times to go by as mine stays at 10 psi unless I turn up my pump to speed 4. My heater is also good in detecting the need for filter cleaning as it will pause before firing up and displaying a message to clean them. As long as you take care of the cartridges they are said to last for quit a while. Hope this helps.

Chris
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

7. Back To Top    #7

How often you need to clean the filter varies rather dramatically depending on the relative size of the filter and the pool. A large filter small pool can go as long as a year between cleanings, a small filter large pool can need cleaning weekly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School