CYA and backwashing

bluskyguy

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
Charlotte NC
Just opened the pool about a week ago and with a little TLC got it back to blue and clear. I took a sample to my local pool guy and as I
figured some of my numbers need a little tweeking, as expected. My question is with my CYA a little low (55ppm) and the fact that it is
SNOWING POLLEN , I literally have to backwash once a day. I know this because I've done it the past 4 days and the water that comes out
is nasty. How can I add stabilizer if your not supposed to backwash for a week after adding it?

Put the stabilizer in an old sock and tie it so it hangs in front of where the water returns to the pool from the pump. It will take several days to dissolve. You will also need to wait about a week after adding stabilizer for it to be reflected accurately in the test results.

Yes, you read correctly. A sock. :) like an old tube sock or dress sock. Pour in the granules, tie a knot at the top, and use some string to hang the sock in front of the return. the flow of the water will make the granules dissolve and you won't lose any to backwashing.

The only issue with putting it in the skimmer, with him backwashing so often is that he'll backwash a lot of the partially dissolved out. In this case it's better to hang it in front of a return then he only loses a little during backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.