Low PSI on Pump

irishal

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2009
Edmond, OK
My tale continues with opening the pool this weekend and as usual I'm turning to my trusty, helpful sources here. Attached is a pic that show the current PSI on the pool pump. This reading seems low to me, compared to the previous 2 years. However, the force of the water coming out of the return seem to be just fine. Is it possible my guage is reading faulty?
30ft round AG pool
2 HP pump
Sand filter
[attachment=0:2xk02qwz]Pool PSI.jpg[/attachment:2xk02qwz]

Attachments

• Pool PSI.jpg
    Pool PSI.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 99
It does go to zero when it is off. It is a single speed pump. Last season it routinely stayed in the 12-14 PSI range on the low side after backwashing.
I've read that it's possible for the filter basket to be clogged before the pump itself or for there to be a blockage there?

Cheers.
IrishAl

Changing the guage is a cheap, sure-fire way of confirming your pressure is low or the original guage was bad.

Assuming the pressure is truly low, you have a restriction somewhere between the main drain/skimmers and the pump impellor. That is called the "suction side" of your plumbing.

The impellor could be clogged, a valve could be half closed, or something could be stuck in one of the pipes or it could be something else but it is in your suction side plumbing. I would suggest starting at one end or the other until you find the restriction.

So I have to add the happy conclusion to this tale. I got a replacement pressure guage, put it on and still identical to the old one (4-5PSI). Soooooo I plug up the pool, and start pulling apart the pump. I cleaned the impellar (which appeared just fine), the filter basket, the lines etc..etc. I put the pump back together and began to connect the hoses back up to the pump when I noticed.....I had the hoses connected to the filter backwards!!! Meaning i had orginally hooked up the hose that goes to the pool return to the pump valve. Yes I'm an idiot!!
As soon as I fix them, and turned pump back on normal pressure was restored at 13PSI!!!

Needless to say :oops:

Every issue with a pool turns into a learning experience. Having gone through that clearing procedure, you probably know a whole lot more about your system than you ever did before. I am really glad you found it. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.