Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to tell if gauge is broke or pump about to blow?

1. Back To Top    #1

how to tell if gauge is broke or pump about to blow?

I just uncovered the pool today and adding water (drained it below the return over the winter).

When it had enough water I turned on the pump and everything sounds normal. But the gauge on the sand filter is maxing out at 100psi. I backwashed for a min but it wasn't dirty and psi didn't drop.

Is it just a bad gauge you think? Anyway to tell for sure other than just buying another gauge?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to tell if gauge is broke or pump about to blow?

Definitely a bad gauge. The pump cannot produce 100 PSI.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok good. So there's no harm leaving it running until a new gauge gets here?
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to be sure you aren't harming the system - how's the return action? Make sure that the valve(s) for the return(s) isn't closed. Also check to see if the gauge goes to 0 when the system is off.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

You know, the most common sense thing would have been to see if it did go to 0 when I was outside and I thought of that as I was sitting down right before reading your reply LOL I did not check.

But there's plenty of return. I am confident it's operating exactly as it did when it was off.