Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Chlorine Nuetralizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Chlorine Nuetralizer

[*]When adding chlorine nuetralizer to the pool, what is the best method for adding it?
    I know that it should not be put into the skimmer, should I sprinkle & brush it around the pool?how long does it generally take to work?
    126,000 indoor recreational pool with a retractable roof.
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the mixture of two chemicals; if a reaction occurs, both are transformed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Chlorine Nuetralizer

Having never used it, I'm not really sure. Why are you wanting to neutralize your chlorine?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

It worked very quickly the times I used it. The pool was being drained. The town was very fussy about chlorinated water, being near a protected river.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had to shock my indoor pool & the FC is about 20 ppm...
    126,000 indoor recreational pool with a retractable roof.
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the mixture of two chemicals; if a reaction occurs, both are transformed.

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't add the chlorine neutralizer. It adds sulphates to the water. Instead, why not just retract your roof here and there to expose the pool to the sunlight and the chlorine should drop very rapidly. You should see a drop by 50% within the next day or so by exposing the pool to the sun, even with CYA in the water (if you added some). Did you confirm any FC loss via the overnight loss test to determine you are done shocking?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

We use Sodium Metabisulfite (sp) to neutralize the chlorine before it runs through our R/O membranes. It is a food grade product and is mixed with fresh R/O water (we buy it in granular form) and introduce it via injection pumps. We have broadcast it into the pool water on occasion as well, and it worked great!

7. Back To Top    #7

Chlorine neutralizer has some uses in an indoor pool, especially if you are running with zero CYA, as many people do (though we don't recommend doing that).

The best way to add chlorine neutralizer is to pre-dissolve it in a bucket of water and then pour that slowly in front of a return jet (with the pump running). Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, after the addition.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School