Auto Pool Cover Installation

Hi waste,

Would I need to take the tracks off to replace the cover?

Also, I assume all new covers come with new rope?

I've talked to pool guys who said it takes 3-4 hours, is it a hard process? I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

You don't need to remove the tracks (just the ends so you can feed the new rope through) :cool:

The covers come with new rope, it's integral to the cover.

If you want to attack it yourself, I'd suggest taking pics of how the old cover is attached to the drum (location of the Tek screws and the pleats) and how the ropes are run and connected.

Please remember that if you leave the ropes a little long, they can be shortened - however - a too short rope can't be lengthened :hammer: . It usually takes a couple tension adjustments in the first couple of weeks the cover is in use (as the ropes stretch) to have it completely trouble free :)

If it takes them 3-4 hours, they are charging by the hour and not a flat rate (or they take coffee breaks every 1/2 hour) :wink: It might take you and a partner that long to do it your first time.

The cover manufacturer should have an installation guide or video available :idea:

Let me know how you make out with this :cheers:

I installed the new beige cover over the weekend with help from family. It was very easy, but very labor intensive. The pool company wanted $600+ to just install the cover, it took us 4 hours and never looked or worked better. Now I know the inter-workings of the system for future maintenance needs.

Oh, you pretty much have to take off the railings because the rope will get stuck when pushing it 40' down a dirty rail.

Sorry I forgot to tell you about using a guide string to help pull the new rope through :oops:

Glad it's in and looking and working better than ever :goodjob:

See what I told you about how long it would take the first time you did it? I'll bet, if you ever replace the cover again, you'll shave 1 - 1 1/2 hours off the install :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.