For those that switched to a SWG

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
What are your thoughts and opinions? From my understanding this almost eliminiates having to add any type of chlorine to your pool manually as the SWG does it all pretty much. So for those that switch from maybe adding it manually via bleach or liquid chlorine, did you see it as a good investment? Also I know it is hard to answer, but what is an average cost of doing this?

Thanks

Our pool builder put in a pool for a friend with a SWG about 5 years ago. By the time they built mine about 3 years ago, they were seriously steering people away from them, but would install one for about $1200 extra. Now they won't even put one in even if you beg them (and they have given up sales as a result) after having to replace the flag stone for a customer (even after it was sealed).

On the other hand, my next door neighbor has had one for about 8 years with no issues.

Take all of that for what it's worth, but apparently at least in some circumstances, the salt can create issues with natural stone. I suspect though, that you will hear from lots of people happy with their conversion... I gather that the issues with the stone are not that common.

You are paying for convenience with a SWG. In a balanced pool once you get the SWG 'dialed in' and have learned how your pool behaves (chemistry-wise) you find that you don't have to test so much. Rarely do I have to toss in bleach or muriatic acid. The SWG's slow, sustained generation of free chlorine at the level your pool needs (depends on CYA, sun, cover, bathing load, organics in pool) is the key to the convenience factor. The cells/controllers require you to pony up several hundred dollars, which buys a lot of bleach. So the advantage is the convenience, unless you like empty bleach bottles.

Id never go back to bleach, pucks, or tablets, or floaters unless I'm between dead cells (hasnt happened yet)

It doesnt eliminate a trip to buy pool supplies- you still need to go to a store for "stuff"
You still have to go to somewhere to buy acid, and will likely have to add a little every week, but you'll find that is pretty consistent- for me its about a quart a week. So a 4 pack lasts me 4 months, and I have a spare jug, so when I use up 4 I still have a month to go get a whole "shell" - Much easier than bleach.

I still test regularly though, and find a SWG makes for a more stable pool all around.

You also need to insure you have X amount of flow or they may not function at all- so if you are planning on running your fancy new variable speed pump at 100watts- it doesn't really work, and you definately now have a minimum speed at which things dont work.

I have metal all around and havent seen any adverse effects to any of it for 3 years now. I haven't had any surface issues at all.

As one poster said you are paying for convenience, - yeah and Im happy to make the payment.

Dave

CurtisT said:
Take all of that for what it's worth, but apparently at least in some circumstances, the salt can create issues with natural stone. I suspect though, that you will hear from lots of people happy with their conversion... I gather that the issues with the stone are not that common.
It seems that the issues depend on the type of stone that is used, whether it is sealed, whether there are summer rains diluting any splash-out, whether the temps and sun exposure are hot enough for enough salt buildup with splash-out and evaporation, etc. Texas seems to have more problems with this than most other areas, probably due to a combination of local stone characteristics and the hot dry weather. One can mitigate the stone issues by using harder stones or by sealing softer ones.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.