Hoping to swim before Summer...New install!

Apr 3, 2010
We are biting the bullet and putting in a pool :-D

So here is what we are thinking about.

a True-L (16x28x36)

We are somewhat DIY, and don't have $30K to drop. So we are looking at a vinyl kit purchased online.

Poolwarehouse.com has a kit starting around $7500K for this size. We of course have to decide on the pump and other but lets start at the $7500K

:arrow: First Question...Anyone ever deal with Poolwarehouse.com? Any other online kit places that you suggest?

We are figuring that the total cost with a basic deck and simple fence (only 3 sides needed) with someone doing the excavation, electrical and concrete would double the price. Of course, an upgraded deck would increase the price as would things like SWG (only about 20% sold on that idea). We also have to start to price pumps and the extras (no diving board).

:arrow: Second question...Are we crazy to think this can be done for under $20K if we keep it simple?

I will be reading about pumps (there seems to be plenty of information on that) as well as the other information/pool options contained in this forum (BTW, this place rocks :whoot: )

Thanks and I promise to post lots of pictures along the way!

Bob

Welcome to TFP Bob!
I've moved your post to the "under construction" section of the forum. You'll be sure to receive tons of advice on whether this plan is doable or not.

If you can swing the SWG that is the way to go! :) There are countless members on the forum (and others) users who swear by them and the convenience factor alone is worth it.

Hey,

Welcome to the forum! :lol: (Bob is a friend of mine from church so he and I have already talked a little about price. I know a lot of you DIY'ers kept better records than I did so can contribute more to realistic cost expectations than I can.)

I'm not quite as sold on SWG's as FPM, but thousands of others on here certainly are so you'll get lot's of info about them.

There is a very recent thread on here about purchasing pool kits online but I searched and couldn't locate the link. I know Butterfly or someone will find it and post it for you in case you haven't already seen the thread.

There are some older threads that document start to finish DIY and there are lots of folks online to help with any questions.

Once the dig starts, pics become semi-mandatory or Butterfly and FPM get very cranky! :roll: :roll:

We bought our DIY vinyl lined IG kit from Royalswimmingpools.com They are out of Memphis, TN.
They had some of the best prices around and helpful, knowledgable staff to answer even the craziest questions that we came up with! I would buy from them again! :goodjob:

We have an 18x36 rectangle and when all is said and done we have less than $15K into ours including concrete decking, diving board, wooden privacy fence, etc.. We put ours in all ourselves (huge undertaking~Super Big $$$ Savings!!) paying only for a general rough dig/excavation and concrete trucks to pour around walls for the footings, the dry mix for the bottom of pool, and the finally, the concrete decking. (We worked, drug and brushed the concrete) It was a LONG 8 weeks!!! My husband did all plumbing and electrical, so we saved big there. I will try to list all pics from start to current finished pool this week...I promised them last summer when I got so much help from this GREAT site and never got around to it. :roll:

This is an install in Durham, NC with city water. I got the permit from the City today (basically an electrical permit and they check to insure I am not to close to the neighbors)

I spoke in length to www.poolwarehouse.com tonight. They went thru all the options, pros and cons and were patient and helpful. I checked out the prices for the comparable product (same size, polymer walls, etc) at nationalpoolwholesalers.com and Polarpools.com. Prices are within $100 of each other so it really boils down to recommendations. The exception is Royalswimmingpools.com which is about $500

:arrow: Question 4...Steel -vs- Polymer walls? Seems to me Polymer makes the most sense but in the NC clay soil, Royalswimmingpools.com says steel holds up better

duraleigh said:
I'm not quite as sold on SWG's as FPM....

pics become semi-mandatory or Butterfly and FPM get very cranky! :roll: :roll:

That's cuz Dave is stubborn. He still uses sand :shock: . :mrgreen:

I don't get cranky. That's Butterfly. I could care less what it looks like. ok that's totally not true at all... :mrgreen:

With our DIY install we used Polymer walls. We put the pool in what I called the Clay Pit! What a MESS that stuff is! I think I googled something like "Steel vs Polymer inground pool" and found several helpful sites for info on making our decision. Most against Steel and for the Polymer. We couldn't find a better deal this time last year and are happy that we went with Royal Swimming Pools...but with the economy like it is, it's great to hear your finding good places and more competitive pricing.

The best asset to you in your install will be this web site..it's invaluable. I became a lifetime supporter after the first time I used it!
No matter what the issue/question or opinion there's tons of helpful people who have "been there, done that" and plenty of insight here at TFP!
Welcome! :wave:

Bob,

Just to let you know we just put a pool in like 2 weeks ago and the cost for the pool and electric was 20K. This does not include the concrete which I have found is pretty expensive. If your budget is about 20 I would just let the pro's do it. Plus it took them 2 days.

By the way I'm in Raleigh and we went with Rising Suns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What! And take all the fun away from building it yourself. Miss all the arguments between your spouse and yourself for having a "mud pit" in the back yard for 3 months more then you promised. Make every mistake in pool building known to man.

I actually have a few calls into some local builders (including Rising Sun). The kit we are looking at is $8K and it's huge giving me around $12K to get the rest done. I would be willing to go smaller for less work for me but with 4 kids, a 14x20 (or maybe a 16x20 or something) pool isn't going to cut it which was what Rising Sun was promoting for their sub-$20K fiberglass pool. Plus can't do a True-L in fiberglass and that is the shape I think fits best into the yard that we have.

Any suggestions on Raleigh builders is appreciated. My list includes:

Gress
Aquatic Creations
RSB
Chandler
B&G

What! And take all the fun away from building it yourself. Miss all the arguments between your spouse and yourself for having a "mud pit" in the back yard for 3 months more then you promised. Make every mistake in pool building known to man.

LOL, sounds like something my wife would say. :blah:

The fiberglass is going to cost more. I went with a vinyl and the size is 17 x 33. Don't know if that helps any.

You can check out:

Pool Professionals
Capital pools (did not have luck with them)
Pools by Clearwater

Well, I called around the pool places in Raleigh and the way they sound they have enough business that no great discounts are being handed out. In short, I am ready to pull the trigger on a True-L kit from either Poolwarehouse.com or Royalswimmingpools.com. With this, I think my summer will be a blur.

It has been over 85 degrees like 5 days in the past 15 already so I am chomping at the bit to get this going (not to mention my kids who have already planned their first pool party).

Last chance for someone to stop me! Speak now or I will blame you guys for not keeping me in line. The basics of the pool are below...Any comments welcome.

16 x 41 x 32 True L,
28 mil Blue Hamshire liner
8' Twin Seat Step Bullnose W/4jets ,
NO Diving
Cantilever Coping
DIY 24" Automatic Deck Brace
Aqua Rite XL 40k Salt Water System (upgrade)
Color Logic Pool Light 120v 30ft run (Just seemed to cool to pass up)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.