Need help with balancing water

Mar 22, 2010
Goldsboro, N.C.
I took the cover off my pool this weekend and today i got my test kit. My water is cloudy with lots of pollen floating on top also. My water temp is 70. No chemicals have been added yet as i am going to install my SWG in the morning (re-plumbing involved), then turn everything on and begin adding chemicals in the afternoon.

My current numbers are

FC-0
TC-0
CC-0
PH-7.1
TA-130for a certain
CH-100
CYA-65

Do i add bleach first and get the chlorine maintained for a certain amount of time before adding anything else or add everything one after another? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The first step once the pump is running is to use bleach to get everything clear and sparkling. That may or may not require shocking (probably will).

Then, when the water is clear, you will want to raise CYA up to 70 to 80 and then turn on the SWG.

Shocking means raising the FC level to a specific high level and holding it there until all of the organics (algae, bacteria, ammonia, etc) are wiped out. It is still shocking regardless of what source of chlorine you use. A SWG isn't capable of raising the FC level quickly, which is important when shocking, so it is common to use a SWG for day to day use and bleach for shocking, but you can use bleach for day to day use if you want.

You can go ahead and vacuum as soon as the pump is running, but you won't be able to get every last spot until the water is more or less clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.