Pool specs - advice requested

Nope :-D You'll need to run it at the higher speed when you run the solar, but you'll also have to ramp it up for a suction side cleaner (if that is what you will run) also. The low speed will be for normal circulation and cleaning, and will save you a bunch of dough!

Don't forget to use big (2" or bigger) plumbing, coming and going! Loop the returns also so they all flow the same. You'll have a very efficient and quiet pool this way :party: :whoot:

Thanks Bruce! When I asked the pool guy about a 2 speed pump he said, "2 speed pumps are available but they don't work very well with DE filters. 2 speed pumps are mostly used for cartridge filters."

Does that make sense or should I still go for a 2 speed pump?

Bart said:
Thanks Bruce! When I asked the pool guy about a 2 speed pump he said, "2 speed pumps are available but they don't work very well with DE filters. 2 speed pumps are mostly used for cartridge filters."

Does that make sense or should I still go for a 2 speed pump?

For the record, I'm a cartridge filter guy. I have never been a fan of the work involved with a DE filter......

Check your flow rate on your filter. I do believe that DE filters tend to foul pretty quickly (another reason I don't care for them!) and that will affect how efficiently your system runs. Clean filters, low psi, large diameter pipes, etc. all make for a happy pool!

Remember, (pool guy) opinions are like (fill in the blank here)! We all have them, but they aren't always right. Do your homework, check your filter (and remember that you may change it one day!) and pay attention to your pool. That will lead you to the right choice!

simicrintz said:
Don't forget to use big (2" or bigger) plumbing, coming and going! Loop the returns also so they all flow the same. You'll have a very efficient and quiet pool this way :party: :whoot:

2 inch lines. Check!

But I'm confused on what you mean by "loop the returns so they all flow the same". Can you elaborate a little?

Thanks!

When you have several returns it can be difficult to balance the flow rates between them. One way to solve this problem is to run the pipe that feeds the returns all the way around the pool in a circle. The pipe from the pump joins the circle at one point and each of the returns taps off of the circle near where that return is located. Making a circle of pipe like that balances out the water pressure at each return. There are other ways to do it, but none are as reliable as the large circle of pipe (normally called a loop).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bart,
On your orginal post, you did not say anything about the manf. of the quoted equipment. I would make sure that the manf. and model of the equip. was in your contract. Just so you do not get stuck with some junk.
There is equip. out there that is cr()&*().
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.