Filter/Pump Problem

Jun 29, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I opened my pool last weekend and ran into a problem yesterday. I had been vacuuming up the crud on the bottom of the pool and lost pressure. I have a Hayward DE filter and I cleaned the filter and tried starting again, still no pressure. The pump turns on and sucks out the water from the filter basket, but nothing comes in from the pool skimmer.

I put hose in the filter basket and the water ran back to the skimmer without backing-up, so I don't think the line between the skimmer and pump is clogged. I even replaced the gasket on the filter basket, but still no water flows from the pool into the filter basket. There are no leaks and I can't hear a "sucking" sound, so it doesn't appear to be a broken seal.

This is my second seasons with a pool, so I'm still relatively new at this. Any thoughts/suggestions before I call someone?

Welcome to TFP!

If you have valves that control where the water comes from, multiple skimmers or a skimmer and a main drain, try closing all of the lines but one and see if you can prime the pump then.

Another thing is to simply try again a couple of times. Every now and then the a pump will fail to prime even when nothing is wrong. Remember to fill up the pump strainer basket with water before each attempt, and give the pump some time to cool down between attempts.

frustratedpoolmom - Water in the skimmer basket is high and I probably need to let some water out. I was planning on backwashing a few times until the water is clear, so I wasn't worried about the water level.

Jason - I'll try again tonight. I made about 10 attempts yesterday. Most of the time, the water it sucks from the strainer basket simply flows back into the strainer basket, but I'll make sure to keep it full. Thanks.

Given, that you recently opened and were vacuuming a lot of crud, an impeller clog is also a possibility. Sometimes you can check through the pump basket but sometimes it requires taking the pump apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.