Small Leak on return on outside pool wall

irishal

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2009
Edmond, OK
Here we are and it's April and I opened the pool this weekend. Turns out I have a very small leak on the fitting where the return goes through the pool wall on our AG pool. It's about a drip every 5 secs. I really don't want to drain the water below the return to repair it, and am wondering if I can just use some flexible sealer to seal it up enough to last the season and just replace the gaskets and pieces at the end of the season?
BTW. using BBB my pool was available for swimming in less than 24 hours after opening with crystal clear water......a little chilly, but swimmable :cheers:

I had a constant drip last year and because I use salt, you can see where it ate through the finish on the side of the pool around the return and fitting.

I tried to seal the skimmer but it did not work. I ended up having to drain below the skimmer and replacing the gasket. I should have replaced the gasket on the return and if leaks at all, I will drain it down and repair it. :goodjob:

On an AGP there should be a big nut on the outside pool wall that holds the return fitting in place. You can gently tighten it and see if that stops the leak. Don't tighten it too much because there's a danger of breaking but snugging it won't hurt.

You can replace the fitting without having to drain the pool below the fitting with a 5 gallon bucket and some self stick foam gasket material (the kind used for weatherstripping).
1) Close the valve in the return piping.
2) Cut a large hole in one side of the bucket.
3) Apply the weatherstripping to the top (open end) of the bucket.
4) Place the bucket over the return fitting with the hole you cut in it above the water line and secure it (The easiest way is to have a friend hold it in place).
5) Dip or siphon the water out of the bucket.
6) Replace the fitting or gasket as needed.
7) Remove the bucket.

I'm having this same problem. It is leaking on the outside. The cork gasket is soggy on the bottom part. I've snugged it to the point I'm concerned I'll break it if I go any further. It has cheaper looking white foam gaskets (probably should try using the old black rubber ones from the older return?).

Anyway - I've got it slowed to the point it's just wet at the bottom. I'll look tomorrow to see if it's dried. If not time to break out the bucket!

The return is on the curve of an oval pool. Will the bucket and seal be able to keep the water out?

I would use the rubber gaskets myself, cork is designed for pieces that won't move and a round fitting in a round hole can move.
Regarding the bucket, put it up against the pool inside and check the how close the 2 radius's match up. That will give you an idea on how much weather stripping you will need to apply to the bucket to mate it properly to the pool side. Do a few test runs first over the return and see if it works well enough for you to go further with it. Worse case at that point is your out a pail and some weather stripping, and still have a seeping return.

My new Intex pool had a slight leak on the return as well. I noticed it while filling the pool. I used some saran wrap and put it on the return inside the pool to block the vents. It wasn't perfectly water tight but just a little water got by while I fixed it. I then took off the small plastic fitting that was leaking and put some plumbers tape on the threads and screwed the fitting back on and pulled out the saran wrap. It fixed the leak. I then did the same to the intake bolt as well, before the water reached that.

I know this is 2 yrs old but this person is a GENIUS! Who would have thunk Saran Wrap?? It works beautifully. Just got our 10' x 24' oval filled and found leaks at 2 am. Saran Wrap saved us from draining and saved our spirits from falling after all the blood, sweat, and tears of finally getting the water in. If you get this ... THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES sandman69!!

My new Intex pool had a slight leak on the return as well. I noticed it while filling the pool. I used some saran wrap and put it on the return inside the pool to block the vents. It wasn't perfectly water tight but just a little water got by while I fixed it. I then took off the small plastic fitting that was leaking and put some plumbers tape on the threads and screwed the fitting back on and pulled out the saran wrap. It fixed the leak. I then did the same to the intake bolt as well, before the water reached that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.