slow moving water into skimmer

Apr 4, 2010
Mobile AL
I have looked around but can't find a good answer so I will post my own question and hope it is not to dumb. We have recently replaced both the pump motor and polaris pump motor and now the water moving into the skimmer is very slow-it seems the water is being pulled into the pump by the drain instead-you can tell this because the pump runs fine and holds its prime and few leaves that have been picked up by the polaris move over to the drain like they are being pulled there. My hubby thinks I am crazy-but there should be suction to the skimmer correct? There is almost none. You can literally put your hand in there and not feel a thing. I have read about the main drain diverter but need to know where that is located so I can check that.
Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!!

If the MD is pulling and not the skimmer, you should have a valve at the pump that would regulate suction between the 2. Of course it's also possible that there is something obstructing the skimmer line :(

See if there's a valve that needs to be opened. If you're still having trouble, post back here and we'll see we can do. :)

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, there should be some suction to the skimmer during normal operation.

There are a couple of possibilities. The most likely is that you have some valves on the equipment pad and the one that controls the skimmer has been closed. The second possibility is that you have a main drain diverter adjusted wrong. A main drain diverter would be located at the bottom of the skimmer, below the skimmer basket.

Thanks for the quick answers! There isn't anything under the skimmer except the main hole that pulls the water down-any where else that the diverter may be? I have tried to upload pics but it says they are too big? On the lines from the pump there is a red valve- a small black valve underneath the skimmer basket right next to the pump motor- I turned it but it only seemed to make the jets go slower-think that is it?

You mentioned a change in pump. What size/model did you go from and go to? Also, what was the filter pressure before the pump change and after the change?

it is the same pump-we just have a new motor- the bearings froze up? I believe that is what the serviceman said-I know it was not running and was only making a loud shrill noise when it came on. I am thinking that leaves may have clogged up that line-we have a LOT of oak trees that surround our property and leaves are a continous battle. How do I get it un clogged or at least try to see if it is indeed clogged? He recently came back because the pump was not priming so he had a look at the impeller and said it was fine he put some caulk around the skimmer at the pump-and it primes great now -there was a lot of leaves at that time so maybe some are stuck in the line and he did not check that- sorry to sound dumb but I am trying to not call him everytime I want to learn how to do these things on my own. :whip:

Remove the skimmer basket and float if you have one. Open the pump basket and put a hose in the line that enters the pump. Stuff a wet rag around the hose and seal as best you can then turn on the hose. You may need to hold the rag so as to create back pressure into the line. This should flush anything out that is stuck in the line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mas985 said:
Remove the skimmer basket and float if you have one. Open the pump basket and put a hose in the line that enters the pump. Stuff a wet rag around the hose and seal as best you can then turn on the hose. You may need to hold the rag so as to create back pressure into the line. This should flush anything out that is stuck in the line.

That is what I meant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.