How do I get rid of grit?

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
My composite roof sheds little bits of grit when it rains, and some end up on the patio, and some of those end up in the pool. There's an annoying sand drift in the spa when everything settles down. It's not a lot, I could probably count the bits if I was patient. The vacuum won't pick them up. I attacked them directly with the vacuum hose and they moved, but didn't get sucked away. They appear to be too dense or something.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove this stuff? I don't relish the thought of diving with a pair of tweezers to clean things 100%.

Do you have a wet/dry shop vac?

I've never done this before(disclaimer), but I hear you can configure your valves so that the suction comes from the spa drain and put the return valve to the pool. That will drain your spa into the pool. Do your necessary work with the shop vac, then reconfigure valves to suction from the pool drain and return to the spa to fill it.

Hopefully the experts can confirm if this is a good idea.

tsunami said:
Do you have a wet/dry shop vac?

I've never done this before(disclaimer), but I hear you can configure your valves so that the suction comes from the spa drain and put the return valve to the pool. That will drain your spa into the pool. Do your necessary work with the shop vac, then reconfigure valves to suction from the pool drain and return to the spa to fill it.

Hopefully the experts can confirm if this is a good idea.
I thought of that myself, I had the valves set to pool only when I was vacuuming and dropped the spa about 9" while I was chasing the bits around. I'm not sure if it's a good idea, either. That's a whole lotta water leaning against a 6" thick wall with nothing but air backing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.