Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I get rid of grit?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I get rid of grit?

My composite roof sheds little bits of grit when it rains, and some end up on the patio, and some of those end up in the pool. There's an annoying sand drift in the spa when everything settles down. It's not a lot, I could probably count the bits if I was patient. The vacuum won't pick them up. I attacked them directly with the vacuum hose and they moved, but didn't get sucked away. They appear to be too dense or something.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove this stuff? I don't relish the thought of diving with a pair of tweezers to clean things 100%.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I get rid of grit?

Can you put a gutter on that section of the roof?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a wet/dry shop vac?

I've never done this before(disclaimer), but I hear you can configure your valves so that the suction comes from the spa drain and put the return valve to the pool. That will drain your spa into the pool. Do your necessary work with the shop vac, then reconfigure valves to suction from the pool drain and return to the spa to fill it.

Hopefully the experts can confirm if this is a good idea.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami
    Do you have a wet/dry shop vac?

I've never done this before(disclaimer), but I hear you can configure your valves so that the suction comes from the spa drain and put the return valve to the pool. That will drain your spa into the pool. Do your necessary work with the shop vac, then reconfigure valves to suction from the pool drain and return to the spa to fill it.

Hopefully the experts can confirm if this is a good idea.
    I thought of that myself, I had the valves set to pool only when I was vacuuming and dropped the spa about 9" while I was chasing the bits around. I'm not sure if it's a good idea, either. That's a whole lotta water leaning against a 6" thick wall with nothing but air backing it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

spill over spas can be empty while the pool is still filled. I wouldn't worry about a wall collapsing
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp