Smarter Stain Removal

frustratedpoolmom said:
LOL
Just smile and nod and say Yes, I undertand and I have "XYZ" product at home, I'll add it when I get there...
Hang in there, try not to get too frustrated, I'm sure it seems like its always something :)

Proteam makes the statement that they crystalize metals and remove them through the filter. Isn't that bunk?

http://www.lightningpoolsupply.com/-str ... Detail.bok

JasonLion said:
It can sometimes happen that a sequestrant will crystalize metals into large enough clumps that the filter can catch them, but it doesn't happen reliably enough to be especially useful.

If your sequestrant level drops below filter cleanings would you lose the crystals anyway?

If metals are crystalizing the filter pressure tends to go up and you tend to end up cleaning the filter. But if you have a fairly large filter (so the pressure doesn't go up much) and just let it sit there the metals will redissolve eventually.

I added 1 teaspoon of chlorine to 1 gallon of pool water. I took the sample around 5:30pm. At 12:30 pm I did put 16 oz of a sequestrant in. At 8:30pm, no color change.

There are 6 tsp in 1 oz. I don't have a calculator, but that would be a concentration of 1:6*128 = 1:768 I believe.

If it takes me 149 oz to get a FC of 3 in a 24000gallon pool then that would roughly be 150/125 = 6/5 gallon to 24,000 g. So that would be 5/6*24000 = 5*4000 = 20000, so a concentration of 1:20000 so the teaspoon example is way, way more concentrated yet no reaction.....that leads to what in the world could be causing this green haze when I put in a 182 oz jug of bleach?

The container says sodium hydrochlorite - 6%, other - 94%.

It's well past time for me to clean my filter. I put 2# of cya in on Sat and am trying to wait until this Sun to clean it.

Monday
FC 0
CC very, very light pink haze
TA - 70
CYA - was 20, added 8# then later 2# to get it up to 70
pH - 7.2 - this has held steady since I put the citric acid in about 3.5 weeks ago.

I have since changed my swg from 50% to 60% and my pump run time from 4 hrs to 6 to try and get more chlorine in the pool. On Monday at lunch I put 1.5qt of bleach in, another 1.5qt at supper, and another 1.5qt at about 6am Tues. The pool had a green haze to it the rest of the day. The water is transparent. I had previously said 1qt each. I measured the cup I used at about 16 oz instead of the 12 that I recalled. I put 3 cupfuls in at a time.

Last summer I put sand down, then flagstone, then a mixture of crushed limestone, sand, portland cement, and buff masonry cement in as joint filler. THis is about 8' from the pool. I've noticed some sand in teh pool and more noticeably when I clean out the polaris bag. That's about all that I can think of. No fertilizer close to the pool or anything like that. THere are some pics on a thread in equipment I started this morning about bubbles from solar system that shows some of my geometry in the event the adjacent hardscaping is relevant.

One gallon of water might not be enough water to be able to see the green coloration.

Transparent green that appears when you add chlorine means not enough sequestrant.

All of the chlorine you add is probably still going to break down the citric acid.

JasonLion said:
One gallon of water might not be enough water to be able to see the green coloration.

Transparent green that appears when you add chlorine means not enough sequestrant.

All of the chlorine you add is probably still going to break down the citric acid.

The citirc was added 3 weeks ago this past Saturday though. Should that still be having an effect?

You think this is still a sequestrant issue? I'll order some of that Proteam today.

If your FC level has yet to go much above 0, then you either still have citric acid in the water, or have algae. If it has been above zero for a while in the middle, they you simply aren't adding enough chlorine.

Last week I added enough to get me from 0 to just above 3. Green pool, added sequestrant. I added all the chlorine within 1 hour.

Monday I started adding it 1.5 qts at a time and still started moving towards green. It's these relatively small doses of chlorine turning it green that has me nervous and wondering if bigger things are going on.

If it's still just a sequestrant issue, then I can dose it up and keep trucking. I do know that if I don't have algae, I soon will if I don't get it going.

Does it sound reasonable to add the other half of the bottle of sequestrant I bought, get the FC up to 3 and by the time it's time to add some more the higher potency sequestrant will be on hand. If that stuff doesn't keep it in check then report back in case there really are bigger things going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.