getting clear sparkling water?

Congratulations on making great progress, but unless your camera is introducing some cloudiness into the photo, you should be able to see your pool cleaner with much more clarity. See this photo where you can see the two floor drains in the deep end (about 6') and the pool cleaner (at about 4.5') viewing through a diagonal of water. Also look at this post where the pool surface is messy, but you can see the clarity of the water. Maintaining the appropriate chlorine level should continue to improve the water clarity (having the chlorine at shock level will get there faster). Keep us posted.

Yeah, and I'm, thinking that you are still losing a lot of FC, too. I'd bet heavily that you should not be done shocking your pool.
May I suggest that you do an overnight chlorine loss check and post the result?

The camera did add a little cloudyness - I think I moved a little when I took the picture. But, Holy Cuss chem geek, I have not seen water that clear since fishing in the High Sierra lakes above 10,000 feet! You should make a sticky showing what "clear" really means. Here I thought I had arrived until you shared those photos.

My FC dropped from 8 on 4/24 to 5 on 5/1 - so 3 points over 6 days. My CC is still at .5 - it may even be at zero because the 5 drops of R-0003 barely changed the color and it is very hard to put 1/2 drop of R-0871 :)

Here are the test results from this morning:

Date: 5/1
FC: 5
CC: 0
TC: 5
pH: 7.5
T/A: 100
CH: 380 Up 70 from 4/24. My next top-off will have softened water so that should help over time
CYA: 60
Temp: 61

My FC dropped from 8 on 4/24 to 5 on 5/1 - so 3 points over 6 days.
You must also take into account the amount of bleach you have put in in between those two tests. I am quite sure you have lost more FC than that in 6 days.

Read Pool School "How to perform the overnite FC loss Test" if you want to get an accurate idea of whether you still have organics.

Or, alternatively, you can simply keep your FC at elevated levels (around 10ppm) for as long as it takes for your pool to become crystal clear. You must run your pump 24/7, brush and vacuum often, and keep the filter clean.

As others have said, you are pretty close but have probably never quite finished the shock process. It's done when......

1. Your pool water is sparkling (Oops!)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less (sounds like you have this one accomplished)
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm. (learn how to do that test)

I don't think I put any bleach in the pool in a week. No matter, it is obvious to me that my pool is not as clear as the pools chem geek posted, so I am ready to keep on keeping on. I will do the overnight test tonight.

I am also concerned about losing 1" of water over the last 5 days. It has been windy, and that would speed up evaporation, but I want to rule out any leaks. I will do the bucket test tonight as well.

You guys are great! I was not arguing with my earlier post - just adding information for clarification.

randelli said:
The camera did add a little cloudyness - I think I moved a little when I took the picture. But, Holy Cuss chem geek, I have not seen water that clear since fishing in the High Sierra lakes above 10,000 feet! You should make a sticky showing what "clear" really means. Here I thought I had arrived until you shared those photos.
You've actually got a really clear pool in that photo of Hearst Castle in your avatar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would like to see you lose .5 or none - in theory we say "1ppm or less" is one of the criteria for being done shocking. I'd keep it up for one more night and hopefully you will continue to see the clarity improving.
Have you tried adding DE to the sand filter? Instructions are in Pool School.

You are finished with the shock process when....

1. Your pool water is sparkling

Here is the water from this morning:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

I am at 0ppm

3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

I lost 1ppm

That's much better, don't you think so? It certainly looks better to me. It's probably got a little more to go as the 1 ppm FC overnight drop would indicate. You could stop the shocking now and let normal chlorine levels eventually keep making it even more clear and sparkly (and the FC overnight loss drop even lower) or you can keep the shock levels longer to have that process go faster -- up to you. Congratulations!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.