getting clear sparkling water?

I had a new test at lunch to see what the 5lbs of powder and 182oz of bleach did:

Here are the test results:

FAC: 2 - up 1.5
TAC: 2 - up 1.5
CH: 200 - down 50
CYA: 50 - up 10
TA: 120 - up 30
pH: 7.6 - no change
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
TDS: 500 - down 100
Pho: 0 - new test

Getting better! I put the rest of the power powder pro (about 5 pounds) and kicked the pump up to high speed.

Randelli,

That's a very keen observation on the shoe dot. (very funny, too :mrgreen: )

Don't be offended but you need to apply that same precison to your testing and dosing methods if you want to be in control of your pool. People are trying to tell you to test carefully, dose carefully, and calculate the result rather than be surprised by it but, as of yet, you seem more interested in the surprise than being able to calculate the results.

Everything taught here on this forum always includes precision in everything you do. If you continue to simply toss stuff in to see what happens, it will be difficult for this fine bunch of folks to get you the help you need.

Again, I hope you are not offended by my words but it is important you recognize the need for accuracy if you are gonna' get your pool crystal clear.

duraleigh,

Thanks for the gentle correction. I am trying to get a handle on how to take care of the pool and learn the terminology and concepts. I realize that my approach has been rather haphazzard and should be more precise. I will work on the pool calculator and add the proper amounts of chemicals to get this under control. First I will confirm the amount of water in my pool, as my records vary from 17,000 to 25,000 gallons, then I will be able to work the calculator more acurately.

Please confirm: Someone said that I need to get the FC to 5ppm and keep it there for a few days - I assume that I would slowly back the FC down to 3-4ppm. Another said that I need to get the FC to 16ppm to shock it - I would assume if I did this the FC would slowly drop and I would not add anything until the FC hit 3-4ppm. Obviously I would need more bleach to hit 16ppm than 5ppm.

Because your overnight chlorine level dropped so significantly, you do need to maintain a shock level of 16. That much of a drop indicates organics consuming the chlorine.

Tonight, leaving the filter running...raise the FC up to 16 with bleach and then wait an hour. Test the chlorine level , and note the result. Then in the morning, test again, and compare the result to the last test of the evening. If you lose more than 1ppm you are not done shocking and need to keep the FC at 16 until the FC holds overnight. Only then will you know if the organics are for certain dead. The FC has to hold at that level for you to be certain.

OK so my correct pool size is 19,000 gallons +/-. To raise the FC from 2 to 16 I added (3) 182oz containers of bleach. I will test the water in one hour to get a base number for tomorrows test.

Problem - the test kit I have only goes to 5. I can probably get to Leslie's before they close for the night, and get back tomorrow when they open for the overnight test. Will this be OK? Do they have kits at Leslie's that are any good?

Very few Leslie's have the FAS-DPD chlorine test in stock, and worse some of them will tell you they have it, only to sell you something inferior. The good test kit at Leslie's is called the "Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit".

It takes an extra day or two, but you will get a better deal by ordering over the Internet from somewhere like TF Test Kits.

BTW:

I picked up the BBB at Wal*Mart. They were conveniently located next to each other.

I wonder if you should add another B to your list? Sometimes it is good to apply 12oz of B after using the BBB :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK that settles that.

It already appeared that the TF kit was the best value, and that many people here were happy with the results, so I am more than happy to support a member in their endeavors. I would rather send my money to a "local" than feed the corporate machine.

I am ordering my TF kit today!

I see that your CYA is 50 so you need to keep your FC at no lower than 4 and should taget 6ppm. It's here in the chlorine/CYA chart.

Something else bothers me a little. You added 5 lbs of Cal-Hypo but your Ch went down. How did that happen?

Bama Rambler said:
Something else bothers me a little. You added 5 lbs of Cal-Hypo but your Ch went down. How did that happen?

I was wondering that too. According to the calculator the CH should have gone up with Cal-Hypo. Maybe the power powder pro is not Cal-Hypo?. There was the PPP and 182oz of bleach on the second test. Maybe that is it?

huh.....................

Leslie's only goes to 5 as well. They couldn't even tell me that the chlorine level was way too high and to stay out of the pool until it dropped. I guess I will trust that it at least got to 16ppm. The color on my little test kit is darker than the highest level - 5.

FAC: 5 - up 3
TAC: 5 - up 3
CH: 200 - same
CYA: 30 - down 20
TA: 120 - same
pH: 7.8 - up .2
Copper: not tested
Iron: not tested
TDS: not tested
Pho: not tested

I guess I will not be able to complete this step until my new fantastique test kit comes in.

You'll get your test kit soon and wonder what took you so long to find TFP! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.