Help with shocking

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I was in the middle of shocking last week and getting no where because my pump was not working properly. I ordered a new bigger pump got it installed but couldn't get it to work for 3 days, so there the green water sat. I poured a jug of bleach in and brushed often, because I had no chlorine in the pool at all it was at zero! Finally got pump running last night. My FAS-DPD last night was 16.5, this morning it is 15, so I did lose some.

Today's test results"

PH - 8.2
TA - 220
CYA - 30
FAS-DPD - 15

Clearly I need to add dry acid to bring down PH. I have a SWG so there is no scale for a CYA of 30 so I am going by the non-SWG chart which means Shock should be 12 and mine is 15, but I DID lose some of that overnight, so should I let it get down to 12 and hold or add more bleach? What chart should I go by?

This morning I can already see a difference in the color of the water, heading in the right direction.

Thank you and Happy Easter!

Shock level is based on CYA level. So, with a CYA of 30, your shock level is about 12, as you said.

The difference in the non-SWG and the SWG FC/CYA charts is the Min and Target FC levels.

The shock level is the same based on the CYA :wink:

Happy Easter to you, too!

First, I suggest you let your FC drop to below 10 , then re-test the pH and adjust to the mid 7's.

Second, continue shocking to about 12.

You lost more than 1 ppm last night, which means the pool failed the overnight test and you need to continue shocking. :(

But, it doesn't sound like you are too far away from a sparkly pool :-D

Is this normal or ok while shocking for the numbers to change from zero and go back up.... especially with the cc in a two hour time span?

10:00 a.m.

PH - 7.5
TA - 180
CYA - 40
FC - 14.5
CC -0

1:00 p.m.
FC = 14
CC - 1.5
TC - 15.5

2:15 p.m.
FC - 14
CC - 1
TC - 15

This is taking forever for it to hold overnight.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, cartridge replaced, it's a brand new pump and no not metal, easy set with blow-up ring.

Edited to add: There is not a great suction going on, so I am going to take it apart and see what the problem is.....could answer alot of questions about the problem I am having.....There's no emoticon for pulling out hair! :wink:

Yes...I did that this past weekend....full of pollen! I can always do it again....thanks FPM!

I don't know if you are monitoring the ABG thread, but I posted a question there about removing the suction part that is in the pool, I have no plug and water of course is gushing out....how do you do that on your ABG pool?

I believe Taylor says the tests are correct to 1 drop in 10, so answers plus-or-minus 1 drop are nothing to worry about. Your CC results vary more than that (0 to 3 drops) but if the FC is finding something to chew on, that could produce CC. Given that you said it still isn't holding overnight, it's not hard to imagine it's still consuming something during the day as well.
--paulr

Ok it's been a week since my FC held overnight, the water started turning that milky color bluish/gray and I thought I was on my way to a sparkly pool by now. Not....it actually looks as if it is turning green again. Pump has been running 24/7 for the past 3 weeks, I check the filter everyday and change when needed. I vacuum, brush and still it is not clearing. I was starting to see the bottom of the pool 2 days ago but now I can't. My question is could it be mustard algae and I haven't been hitting that shocking target of 29? My cya is 50 so my shock was 20 which is what I did. Also, I did another overnight test last night and I didn't lose any FC so I am puzzled at what to do at this point.

I know I need some POP...but it is concerning me that It is regressing back to the green instead of clearing up...any thoughts or ideas?

I did let the FC drop down to 6 and I adjusted my PH to bring down my TA.....Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.