Added DE to sand filter

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
Happy Easter everyone!

I added some DE to my sand filter today. I did this because the water was slightly cloudy and I wanted to clear it up. I've only had this pool for about 3 weeks, and wanted the water to look as clear as the day I filled it. I added enough DE to increase pressure by 1 psi, which was about 1/2 cup. After about 3 hours, the pressure rose 12 psi, so I backwashed. I then added the same amount of DE. After about 6 hours, pressure rose 10 psi again :grrrr: Is it normal to have this happen the first day you add DE to a sand filter? On the plus side, the water sure is clearing up great :party: I'm thinking the DE is increasing the efficiency of the filter, thus the rapid increase in pressure. Does anyone think I'll damage my filter by backwashing so often?

Numbers:
FC=6.5
CC=0
Ph=7.5
TA=130(yeah, it's high, I'm working on it)
CH=270
CYA=40

Using a little DE with a sand filter is a great idea.

If the water starts cloudy, then yes it is very common for the filter pressure to go up very rapidly. If you have a true DE filter the pressure can go up enough to require backwashing after an hour or two when cleaning up after an algae bloom. Normally I wait until the water is reasonably clear before adding DE to a sand filter for this very reason. But if you don't mind the extra work of backwashing the filter more often, doing it the way you are doing it can speed up the entire process.

There is no harm to the filter or equipment from backwashing frequently. The only issue is where the water is going (might flood the yard, depending on your setup) and adding enough fresh water to maintain the water level in the pool.

Thanks for the replys, after a couple of days, the water has REALLY cleared up!!! I've backwashed about 5 times during the whole process, and now my filter has stayed at a steady pressure for the past 2 days. The pool water is so clear I can not even tell there is water in the pool on a calm night with the moon out when I look at the main drain cover :cheers: I don't have a problem with excessive backwash water, I was just worried that I might damage something in the filter with frequent backwashing.

guamguy said:
Thanks for the replys, after a couple of days, the water has REALLY cleared up!!! I've backwashed about 5 times during the whole process, and now my filter has stayed at a steady pressure for the past 2 days. The pool water is so clear I can not even tell there is water in the pool on a calm night with the moon out when I look at the main drain cover :cheers: I don't have a problem with excessive backwash water, I was just worried that I might damage something in the filter with frequent backwashing.

Great to hear that. Enjoy that sparkling pool. :whoot:

duraleigh said:
Nice work, GG. This stuff works, huh? :lol: :lol:

It works wonders!!! My wife thinks I'm obsessed with the pool, but does comment every now and then how wonderful the water looks.
I just love how easy the BBB method is! I spend maybe 10 minutes each day testing and adjusting chems! That's it!
I'm sure glad I didn't follow the advice I got somewhere else about exclusively using trichlor pucks and a bag of pool store "shock" once a week!
I know I've been saying it for a while, but I will get some pics posted after the wind decides to calm down so I don't have to show you all a pool and spa with a bunch of leaves in it! I can barely keep up with scooping the leaves out and the wind blows 'em back in again :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.