Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added DE to sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Added DE to sand filter

Happy Easter everyone!

I added some DE to my sand filter today. I did this because the water was slightly cloudy and I wanted to clear it up. I've only had this pool for about 3 weeks, and wanted the water to look as clear as the day I filled it. I added enough DE to increase pressure by 1 psi, which was about 1/2 cup. After about 3 hours, the pressure rose 12 psi, so I backwashed. I then added the same amount of DE. After about 6 hours, pressure rose 10 psi again Is it normal to have this happen the first day you add DE to a sand filter? On the plus side, the water sure is clearing up great I'm thinking the DE is increasing the efficiency of the filter, thus the rapid increase in pressure. Does anyone think I'll damage my filter by backwashing so often?

Numbers:
    FC=6.5
    CC=0
    Ph=7.5
    TA=130(yeah, it's high, I'm working on it)
    CH=270
    CYA=40
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added DE to sand filter

Shouldnt on a sand filter. I have a sand filter and instead of putting DE in it, I just refresh the sand a bit is all. After the 3rd year, I change the sand completely.

Later!
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

3. Back To Top    #3

Using a little DE with a sand filter is a great idea.

If the water starts cloudy, then yes it is very common for the filter pressure to go up very rapidly. If you have a true DE filter the pressure can go up enough to require backwashing after an hour or two when cleaning up after an algae bloom. Normally I wait until the water is reasonably clear before adding DE to a sand filter for this very reason. But if you don't mind the extra work of backwashing the filter more often, doing it the way you are doing it can speed up the entire process.

There is no harm to the filter or equipment from backwashing frequently. The only issue is where the water is going (might flood the yard, depending on your setup) and adding enough fresh water to maintain the water level in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Off the subject, but unless you're having pH issues, I'd leave the TA alone.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replys, after a couple of days, the water has REALLY cleared up!!! I've backwashed about 5 times during the whole process, and now my filter has stayed at a steady pressure for the past 2 days. The pool water is so clear I can not even tell there is water in the pool on a calm night with the moon out when I look at the main drain cover I don't have a problem with excessive backwash water, I was just worried that I might damage something in the filter with frequent backwashing.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Nice work, GG. This stuff works, huh?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by guamguy
    Thanks for the replys, after a couple of days, the water has REALLY cleared up!!! I've backwashed about 5 times during the whole process, and now my filter has stayed at a steady pressure for the past 2 days. The pool water is so clear I can not even tell there is water in the pool on a calm night with the moon out when I look at the main drain cover I don't have a problem with excessive backwash water, I was just worried that I might damage something in the filter with frequent backwashing.
    Great to hear that. Enjoy that sparkling pool.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Nice work, GG. This stuff works, huh?
    It works wonders!!! My wife thinks I'm obsessed with the pool, but does comment every now and then how wonderful the water looks.
    I just love how easy the BBB method is! I spend maybe 10 minutes each day testing and adjusting chems! That's it!
    I'm sure glad I didn't follow the advice I got somewhere else about exclusively using trichlor pucks and a bag of pool store "shock" once a week!
    I know I've been saying it for a while, but I will get some pics posted after the wind decides to calm down so I don't have to show you all a pool and spa with a bunch of leaves in it! I can barely keep up with scooping the leaves out and the wind blows 'em back in again