DIfferent Hayward SWGs for above ground pools?

Mar 30, 2010
I am going to install a 27' 16k gallon above ground pool. Hayward recomends the Aqua Trol which is rated up to 18k gallons. Does anyone use this model? Will it be large enough for my pool?
Chris

Once you are up to sizes like 27' most people treat the pool as permanently installed, which means PVC plumbing instead of hoses and hard wired electrical connections, instead on plug in. If you are using PVC plumbing and hard wired electrical you should use an in-ground SWG. If you have hoses and a plug in pump, then the Aqua Trol is a good choice.

The Aqua Trol will work with your pool. I like to oversize the SWG a little more than that, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

I ordered a 24" Hayward sand filter and a 2 speed powerflo matrix 1.5hp pump. I am still torn about the SWG. I have 3 options:

1 aqua trol return jet model
2 aqua trol inline model
3 aqua rite 25k model

Are people happy with the return jet model, it is more or less half the price of the aqua rite 25k model. I don't really like the idea of putting an 18k max gallon SWG on a 17k gal pool, seems like I am pushing the limits, but I would like to save ~$400.

Chris

My AGP is smaller (30X15 so around 12K gal) and the AquaTrol (inline) has been fine. I redid my plumbing to 2 inch PVC, which required a little creativity with fittings to accomodate the AquaTrol. I would consider the larger capacity SWG however, for a 16K gal pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.