3 days away

Mar 29, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I will be away from the pool for 3 days. I am going to leave my pump running 24/7 with my SWG set on low.
I plan to keep the cover on the entire time. Should I leave it partway off, totally off, or leaving it on for 3 days should be ok?

My current numbers are

FC 2.9
CC .1
TC 3.0
alk 120
pH 7.8 (just put in some acid)
CYA 35

What do most people do

I would hate to leave it off and loose heat/water through evap. or is it better to fill it a little and let it breathe with the cover off.

If your pump is on a timer I would just let it run it't normal cycle. If it is not I would put it on one since you have a SWG (if it is one of the ones that won't control the pump. Many of them do). Covering the pool will cause the chlorine levels to climb a bit so I would leave it uncovered and just top it off before I left (unless you lose a LOT of water to evaporation every day).

waterbear said:
If your pump is on a timer I would just let it run it't normal cycle. If it is not I would put it on one since you have a SWG (if it is one of the ones that won't control the pump. Many of them do). Covering the pool will cause the chlorine levels to climb a bit so I would leave it uncovered and just top it off before I left (unless you lose a LOT of water to evaporation every day).

Sorry, I am not following your (SWG controlling the pump) statement. I have not installed a timer as of yet.

crazycanuck said:
waterbear said:

Sorry, I am not following your (SWG controlling the pump) statement. I have not installed a timer as of yet.
Some SWG control units will also control a pump that is wired or plugged into them, others won't. If you have one of the latter it's a good idea to have a timeclock so your SWG runs the same number of hours each day. This will help keep your chlorine levels relatively constant in your water. If you have not installed a timeclock I would run your pump 214/7 and adjust your output to maintain a normal FC level. Hopefully you have enough time to do this before you go away otherwise you are just guessing if the unit is set right and if you are going to have enough, too much, or not enough FC in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.