No CYA in the pool!

Mar 13, 2010
I have an indoor swimming pool with a retractable roof, since the weather has been gorgeous, I've been opening the roof. However, my CYA registers as "Low" on the LaMotte ColorQ & as soon as the roof is open, the FC drops drastically. I'm using sodium hypochlorite & I have a chemical controller.
Can I add a stabilizer? Will this help in maintaining my FC level?

The short answer is yes. A low level of CYA (around 20ppm) works well for an indoor pool and will noticeable slow the loss of FC from the sun. Chemgeek is the expert concerning that situation so he may be along to expand on my answer but your idea to add the CYA (around 20ppm) is a very good one.

If your indoor pool doesn't get much sun at all, then 20 ppm CYA should be OK, but if it gets some sun as you described, 30 ppm might be better. You can always try out 20 ppm CYA and see how that works for you; it's easy to add more, but harder to lower it as you have to dilute the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.