No Vacuum to Waste - other options

May 21, 2009
My plumbing is such that I do not have a valve that I can turn in order to vacuum to waste - it all has to go through the filter. Are there any other tricks that I am not aware that would allow me to bypass the filter when vacuuming? Or are there any inline filters that catch junk?
thanks

There are skimmer socks, which stretch over the basket in the skimmer. If you are after large debris, make sure your vacuum hookup lets you leave the basket in place.

Here's a pic of my setup if that helps:

488100_2172-med.JPG

What some people, with setups like yours, do is to remove the top of the filter housing. Then the water will overflow out of the filter and onto the ground, a messy but workable approach to vacuuming to waste. In practice, a leaf canister is probably a much better solution for most situations.

robmaxfli said:
Well, my vacuum hole is under my basket so I have to remove the skimmer basket when vacuuming...
My vacuum hole is under my basket too, but I have lots of gum tree "balls" that make me hesitant to suck up directly into the plumbing. So I use a skimmer vacuum plate and place directly over top of skimmer basket.
3109-0.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
robmaxfli said:
So I'm guessing that you put that over your basket and then connect your hose to the top of it...Do you still get strong vac. suction from such a setup?

Yes. It's the preferred way to go since it cuts the risk of a clog in your line back to the pump. It completely seals the skimmer, so all the flow is through the hose.

Never mind...I'm sorry - checking your older posts I see now this is an inground pool. What I had in mind probably won't work for an inground, cuz of gravity etc, if you were to prime the hose to get a syphon action going, the hose wouldn't stay primed, would it? :scratch:

Can you add your pool specs/equipment to your signature.... go to User Control Panel, top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Thanks in advance! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.