Vacuuming Algae

Apr 3, 2010
Hi there. I've had Algae problems for several years now, and after reading this forum and the articles in the Pool School I feel more confident then ever about going into this pool season! You guys are exactly what I've been looking for! About the only question that I have which has not been answered yet is about vacuuming Algae. I've read a few different opinions over the years so I want to hear what your thoughts are. I have a 30' round above ground pool with a cartridge filter. I have installed a "vacuume to waste" valve between the pump and filter. I've been told that vacuuming to the filter will just stir things up and make it take longer to clear up the algae because the algae is smaller than what the filter will handle. I installed the waste valve so I could clear up my algae problem quicker, but then I was told that vacuuming to waste stirs stuff up also, and not to waste my time. It seems like my pool knows when we are planning on having friends over, and decides that's the best time to have an algae outbreak, so it makes sense to me that if I can get a lot of the green stuff off the bottom of my pool by vacuuming to waste that the chlorine will work quicker. What are your thoughts on this? I figure if I know the right answer then I most likely won't have an opportunity to test it out.

I say:

If you keep your chlorine and CYA in range, algae will never get one up on you and make you look like a fool in front of your friends.

Do you own a reliable test kit? If not, the TF-100 Test kit could be your best friend and algae's worst nightmare. There is a link in my signature. :goodjob:

I would reccomend you go over Pool School several times. :wink:

And before I forget... Welcome to TFP! :cool:

I just ordered the TF-100 a couple days ago, and am very excited for the coming pool season! I'm pretty confident that I won't have any Algae problems this year because of the pool school articles. I think my biggest problem has been my CYA being too high so I am all set to make sure that doesn't happen to me this year. The vacuuming issue is just something that I have been curious about so I wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Vacuuming up a lot of algae can clog up the filter fairly quickly. With most filters this isn't really a problem, though DE filters tend to clog up more quickly than most. Regardless, if you have been vacuuming up a great deal of algae it is a good idea to clean the filter cartridge right afterwards. Otherwise the algae is still in the filter and still consuming chlorine.

The problem with vacuming is often people go to quickly, which just stirs it up. The key is going veeerrrry slowly, and many pool owners simply don't have the patience for it. But with your set up, going very slowly, it will bypass the filter and shouldn't be a problem.

But I agree, this year it should be easier with you testing on your own and maintaining the proper FC level which means algae won't get started in the first place. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.