Pump and Heater For Intex

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I am trying to get ready for set up in a month or so and I'm hoping you guys can chime in on if I'm heading in a good direction or about to invest in something that will be a huge flop.

I have four year old twins who as yet have never had swimming lessons. Thus, I want pool they can stand in. So, I have purchased an Intex Easy Set (the kind with the inflatable ring) that is 15 feet by 36 inches (approximately 2800 gallons). My plan is to eventually have an 18' x 48" or 52" pool when the kids get tall enough/can swim well enough. I would guess that will be two years from now. I anticipate always wanting a seasonal pool that will be taken down annually. I DO NOT want to rely on solar heat - I tried that last year and it doesn't work for my needs/wants.

My hope is to invest now (for current 15' x 36" pool) in a pump and heater that will also work in the event we upgrade to an 18' x 52" pool in the future. I know I will need to run electricity and gas to a pad -- that is do-able since I will be putting in a new patio and sunroom this Spring.

My local pool guy spoke with me at length about it today, and here are his suggestions. I would love to know your thoughts before I commit. He recommends:

Pump --- he favors a sand filter. Recommends a Hayward Sandfilter System that is 19" (I don't know what this designates) and is 1.5 horse power. He sells it for $425.00. If I say I only want a cartridge system, he'd recommend a Hayward C4001575XES that is 40 square feet (?) so it will service the larger pool in a few years. He sells this for about $425 as well.

Question -- anyone think either of these is perfect? or awful? Anyone see a problem with putting a pump of these magnitudes on my Intex?

Heater -- he recommends the Raypak 1300 which he sells for $1300. If I do this, I'd select a 110 volt as opposed to the millivolt with the pilot light always on. His second choice is a Pentair Mini-Max, which is about $1000.

Question -- anyone have a better idea for a heater or have any input on whether the above choices are good or bad for what I've described?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy Spring Crek! :)

If you got a cart filter, even for the small size pool I wouldn't go smaller than 90-100 sf, because when you go to upgrade the 40sf cart would be too small for the bigger pool... It looks like the cart filter recommendation is a 1hp pump/filter combo, and frankly I don't think it's a good match for what you want to upgrade to. You'll be cleaning the filter constantly. In any event I see it online for about $400 w/ free shipping.

I think a 1.5 hp pump is overkill for that size pool and sand filter, unless it is a 2 speed, which you could run on low. But it looks like online that is a paired system, and you can get it in a 1 HP and 1.5 HP (which would just mean more elec usage). I also see a great variance on pricing for this so be sure to compare apples to apples if it's a package-type deal, etc.

I don't know enough about heaters to make a recommendation about either brand/model, but I did observe that the Pentair heater is sold thru In the Swim for less, and they seem to be more expensive on things that I have priced in the past. I see it at Pool Center.com for much less! Best to shop around....and negotiate with him on the price, cuz that price seems high from him.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Just remember, the bigger the pump, the more electricity used and especially when it comes to AG pools they often oversize the pump unneccessarily. On the flip side, bigger is always better when it comes to the filter-because it means you have to clean/backwash it less often.

FPM - thanks, as always, for such a thoughtful reply. I seem to recall last year you wrote on some post that you prefer cart to sand (and your sig says you use cart). Why is that your preference? On the pump/filter, I'll need to do some research because he upped me to the 40 sq.ft specifically b/c he said it would be right for the larger pool once I upgrade. I guess I need to dig around on the internet and learn it better before I commit. Hope it is starting to warm up in your neck of the woods - we have finally had some beautiful Spring days with bright sunshine -- now if we could just convince the wind to calm down.

I prefer a Cart simply cuz it's all I've ever known. :mrgreen:
Sand owners swear by their sand! :wink:
Truly, I think you'll be fine with either, as long as you get a large one. Bigger is always better when it comes to the filter. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.