Need filter and pump advice

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post and ask some questions. We just purchased our first home last October. The home had an infinity pool but needs some work. The home was empty for almost 2 years. The previous owner removed the filter and pump control system. So I'm left with pipes cut with a hack saw that I have to fix. As you can tell from the pictures the pool is full of algae. I've cleaned all the leaves and sludge out of it and am now ready to get the water moving so I can get started filtering and shocking.

My biggest question is what size filter should I look at buying? I've calculated the combined volume to be about 22,000 gallons (upper pool 16000 gal. and lower pool 6000 gal.) I keep reading that I need to buy a large filter but need to know how big is too big. I was originally thinking a 30" or 36" sand filter, but the guy at the pool store says I need something smaller like a 24". Any recommendations on brands and size?

The next questions is pump related. When we moved in we found a brand new pump housing with no motor in the garage. The information on the tag is Jandy PHPU2.0. I have been looking at motors for this pump and have decided on an AO Smith B2983 energy efficient 2-speed pump. The pool has 5 returns on the upper pool and 7 on the lower pool with the slide (3 under the slide and 4 on the other end). I'm assuming this is to create a lot of water movement when using the slide. Would this pump be sized correctly to move enough water when using the slide?

Upper Pool
DSCF2164.jpg

Lower Pool
DSCF2165.jpg

Missing Plumbing
DSCF2167.jpg

I hope the pictures work if not cut and past the links. This actually my first post ever on any forum :-D .

Thanks

I can't really help on the selection of the equipment but I just wanted to say welcome, looks like it will be an interesting project! :)

For future reference, you can copy and past the "IMG code" directly into the message here and the pics will appear directly on the thread.

Were you able to find the missing blue tiles?

Can't wait to see it when it's all cleaned up....

You sure do have a lot going on in the pad and I'm not sure what goes to where.

A waterslide should not require much in the way of flow rate so I would think almost any pump would work for that. If you stick with the PHPU2.0, you could have as much as 100 GPM so I would size the filter to have a maximum flow rate of 125 GPM. You might be able to get away with less but unless you know the head loss of the plumbing, you have to assume the worst case.

However if you are willing to go with a smaller pump, then you can go with a smaller filter as well. If that is the case, tt would be useful to get some more information about your setup. If you want to stick with the PHPU2.0, then forget the rest.

Do you have solar as well? Is that what the green pump is for? How high are the panels? How far are the panels from the equipment pad? Pipe size feeding and returning?

How far is it from the equipment pad to the pool?

Do you know if they ran separate lines for each skimmer/main drain back to the pad?

Are there multiple return lines from pad to pool?

Do you know the size of the lines for both the suction and return side?

They didn't leave you with a schematic of the plumbing by chance? If not, could you put together a drawing of your best guess as to how the plumbing is laid out?

Most slides work fine with very low flow rates, but there are a few slides (rare) designed for rather high flow rates.

I recommend getting a filter that is larger than you really need. Most pool people will size the filter so it is just barely large enough, but getting an oversized filter has many advantages. You won't need to backwash/clean it nearly as often, the overall system efficiency will be higher, and it will filter more effectively.

Do you have solar as well? Is that what the green pump is for? How high are the panels? How far are the panels from the equipment pad? Pipe size feeding and returning?
No I do not have solar. The green pump needs serious help. It had a cover left off and is corroded badly inside it. It was a 2hp pump that was hooked into the pool system.

How far is it from the equipment pad to the pool?
The distance is about 10 feet from the pad to the pool.

Do you know if they ran separate lines for each skimmer/main drain back to the pad?
No I do not know. I do have contact info for someone who helped install this pool though. I am going to try contacting him again to see if he can stop by and identify things.

Are there multiple return lines from pad to pool?
Yes there are separate return lines for the lower pool and the upper pool.

Do you know the size of the lines for both the suction and return side?
3" then necks down to enter pump.

They didn't leave you with a schematic of the plumbing by chance? If not, could you put together a drawing of your best guess as to how the plumbing is laid out?
No schematic of the plumbing. Some of the pipes are labeled with faded magic marker. I am working on a schematic of the plumbing. I have been trying to contact someone who helped install the pool. I will keep trying that route. I will post my schematic as soon as I get it done.

With 3" lines, it sounds like they set up the pool for fairly high flow rates likely for the infinity edge. If you know someone who installed the pool, also ask them what size pump was originally used. Also, measure the length of the infinity section of the pool so an estimate of required flow rate can be determined. Also, if you can get the model # of the slide, we can determine the flow rate requirement for that as well.

Given the different features you have, this might be a good application for a variable speed pump. Since you have to get the rest of the equipment anyway, if you get the controller, pump and filter from the same manufacture, you can probably get an extended warranty on everything and a package discount.

The length of the infinity edge is about 20 foot. The slide is an Inter-fab whitewater Part #WWS-CRG-SS. Still trying to get in touch with the person who helped install the pool. The original owner of the house owned a pool store here in town and this guy used to work for him. I have no contact info for the previous owner, and besides I feel bad contacting him because he was the one the bank foreclosed on.

I was reading today about how the PH of this pool will have to be closely monitored because of the infinity edge. Will I constantly be having to add chemicals to keep it in check? What happens if I leave the water level a little shy to minimize the amount going over the edge?

Thanks,

Paul

I finally figured out all the plumbing that is on the pad next to the pool. I ended up lowering the levels in the pools and hooking up a leaf blower to each pipe. It looks like there were two separate systems installed. One for the lower pool and one for the upper pool. Upper pool (16000gal) has a drain, 5 total returns (2 returns from lower pool w/cut off, 3 returns not connected to lower pool), 1 separate line (booster pump?), and 2 skimmers. The lower pool (6000 gal) has a drain, 4 returns, 1 skimmer, and 1 slide return. The drain plumbing for both pools is 3" and all other plumbing is 2". See the pictures for layout info. I don't know the routing of the pipes under ground so I'm not sure of the pipe lengths.

What do you guys think about trying to run two separate systems (2 pumps 2 filters)? Should I try and run it as one system? Also need help on pump size and filter size.

Thanks,

Paul

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To me it looks like it would likely be cheaper to go back with separate filtration, diverter valves are not cheap and if you were to go with a single pump system you would have a fair amount of plumbing to do. Another advantage is when kids are using the slide /kid pool part only you could configure the pool as 2 isolated pools so any potential accidents would be contained. If it were mine I would consider setting it up as a hybrid system with 1 pump having a sand filter (probably on the spillover lower pool) and one with a DE filter. DE filters are great for getting the best quality water, but clog easily when trying to clean up a swamp like you seem to have at the moment, this way you could have the best of both world, the relative ease of cleaning/backwashing with just the sand filter running when the water is green and DE sparkling clear the rest of the time.

Ike

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.