can the filter be too big?

Mar 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have the opportunity of buying a Pentair FNS 60 SQ FT DE filter for a real good price. My question, is that too big of a filter for my pool? Not really sure how many gallons it is but its a free form 18x36, 3ft shallow, 8ft deep end. I keep getting different numbers, from 15,000 to 22,000 gallon pool. I have a 1.5 HP pump right now, with a SF of 1.3.

I was originally going to buy a new 36 SQ FT and then after asking on a thread, was informed that a 48 SQ FT filter would be better. I now found this deal on the 60 SQ FT, but is that overkill?

I guess there is a limit but within practical limits you can't have a filter too big. That 60SF filter wil be great for your pool. Go for it and don't look back!

Oh yeah, and I agree with Dave. tpying at the same time.

I had to clean my 200sf cartridge filter ONCE at the end of the season. That was nice. I did take it apart in the middle of the season too, but it wasn't really dirty. But now I know that it may only need it once per year.

Fyi, I'm in the NE where the season isn't too long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.