Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding bleach into the skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding bleach into the skimmer

Looked around and didn't see any reference to this in particular, but does it matter if you just pour the bleach into the pool or is it better to add it right into the skimmer?
    24k IG Vinyl D.E. Filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

I pour mine slowly in front of the return, that way it gets spread around instead of settling in one spot.
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

Same as Poolidiot here. If your jets are positioned properly, which can be checked with a ping pong ball, the movement of the water will easily disperse the water.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've heard the high concentration of chlorine right into the skimmer can be tough on the equipment. I've been pouring mine in over a return jet in the 5' section of the pool. I can see the yellow cloud get blown pretty quickly across the pool so I figure it's dispersing quite well.

Last night, I poured in several gallons of bleach such that the water was actually slightly yellow for a few minutes afterwards.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Many people pour bleach slowly into the skimmer while the pump is running. It can in theory cause problems but nothing seems to actually go wrong in practice. Pouring slowly in front of a return jet is also fine. In either case make sure that the pump will be running for at least half an hour after adding bleach to get it well mixed into the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School