Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach weak in Dallas

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach weak in Dallas

I've been buying the 3 jug boxes of Clorox at my local COSTCO off Rt 75 in Plano and it's taken me awhile to determine the sodium hypochlorite is only around 2-3%, not 6%.
    I did the overnight algae test to make sure that wasn't my problem. I've been following the recommendations to get my Cl to 6.0 and it's been taking 2-3 times the amount of clorox to get it there.
    I called Clorox and they are sending me a coupon for 3 free jugs, I guess that is better than nothing. I'm going to talk with the folks at COSTCO today to see if I can get more for free, but at a later date.
    The black printing off the jug is A510018TX-109:34R. Clorox said it was made in January so it's not a shelf life issue. They also said if it froze it would get weaker. Just a heads up to anyone who might be experiencing the same problem. I'm guessing with the cold weather we've had here in Texas since January that a tractor trailor of it must have froze.
    I'm going to buy some today from Sam's to see if I get better results.
    18,000 Gallon IG, Gunite, Cartridge filters
    Rainbow 320 Chlorine feeder (not in use anymore), 2.0HP Pentair WhisperFlo
    Legend Platinum Hummer Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach weak in Dallas

I am in Fort Worth and get my Bleach from Costco and my bottle says 6% and using the Pool Calc app on my iPhone the bleach works fine bringing the numbers up.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

3. Back To Top    #3

All my Costco Clorox has been fine as well. That's very strange. At least you got a coupon for some free stuff though.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

I buy at Sam's Club on Park/Greenville in Dallas and the PPM has always risen to match the 6%. I'll bet they go through a pallet every day. Very fresh.
    31000 Gal IG L-shape w/ spa, Riversand finish (PebbleSheen clone)
    Jandy 60 sq ft DE, 2.5 HP (uprated) Stealth pump, Polaris 280 w/ booster, Jandy PDA PS4 controller

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, I buy at the same Costco as the OP, and it has always been super fresh. They move a LOT of bleach.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Seems like this was an isolated case (well, actually a couple of cases) which is good news. I bought some at Sam's and it worked as expected.
    18,000 Gallon IG, Gunite, Cartridge filters
    Rainbow 320 Chlorine feeder (not in use anymore), 2.0HP Pentair WhisperFlo
    Legend Platinum Hummer Pool Cleaner