Polaris fitting headache

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
The piping on my Polaris consists of hoses over bulb type fittings at the various components and then there is a nut on the hose that is usually too small to actually fit over the bulb. You basically screw the nut as tight as possible, but it won't actually go up and over where the hose wraps the bulb fitting. It's been like this from day 1 and I used to assume it's jsut the way it was supposed to be. Now, I get frustrated with the hoses coming apart. There has to be a better way. So, how is all this supposed to be connected? I can post pics tonight if it will help.

I'm not familiar with the term service slack.

The part that fits over the connector does not appear stretched. Maybe it's stretched just enough to be a problem though. The thing that's frustrating is that all three locations will come loose from time to time. There is the connection to the polaris itelf, the connection on the polaris side of the little jet piece, then the pool side of the jet piece. All three randomly come loose. The pool was installed fall 07. Winter 07/08 I didn't know any better and left the unit submerged in the pool and ran it periodically through the winter. The last two winters it's been inside. Hmm, as time has gone on, it does happen more, so that almost sounds like it got brittle the first winter and has slowly stretched since. Sounds like cutting about an inch at each location should do the trick.

My BIL was having this problem with one of the connections on his Polaris. Turned out that he had taken the connection apart and then installed the nuts backwards. Ooops! The nut slides onto the fitting before you attach the hose, with the threaded portion facing the barb. Now slide the hose onto the fitting and thread the nut down onto the hose. Now it should stay together. :cool:

When I said service slack, it referred to the leaving some extra white hose and not trimming it to an exact fit.

When pressing the hose onto the bulb and pulling the collar up, there is a red clip available that helps keep the collar from sliding down and letting go of the hose. Many get lost or neglected to be put on.

PoolCenter. com has a breakdown picture. Here is the link: http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_pumps_p ... r_pump.htm

Part # 18 is the clip.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
When I said service slack, it referred to the leaving some extra white hose and not trimming it to an exact fit.

When pressing the hose onto the bulb and pulling the collar up, there is a red clip available that helps keep the collar from sliding down and letting go of the hose. Many get lost or neglected to be put on.

PoolCenter. com has a breakdown picture. Here is the link: http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_pumps_p ... r_pump.htm

Part # 18 is the clip.

Scott

Thanks, I'll look for that.

HarryH3 said:
My BIL was having this problem with one of the connections on his Polaris. Turned out that he had taken the connection apart and then installed the nuts backwards. Ooops! The nut slides onto the fitting before you attach the hose, with the threaded portion facing the barb. Now slide the hose onto the fitting and thread the nut down onto the hose. Now it should stay together. :cool:

That's the way mine is setup, the problem is the diameter of the hose over the fitting is bigger than the diameter of the nut. The nut is the diameter of the hose itself, so when the hose goes over the fitting it's stretched maybe another quarter inch. The nut seems to snug up against this bulge and that's about it. Seems like the nut should be supplied the diameter of the bulge instead.

Keep pushing. The hose has to extend well past the barb, then tighten the nut. When it's properly assembled the nut fits tightly on the end of the hose such that it can't be pulled past the barb. The hose on my Polaris has never come apart in the nearly 4 years we've been in this house. :)

HarryH3 said:
Keep pushing. The hose has to extend well past the barb, then tighten the nut. When it's properly assembled the nut fits tightly on the end of the hose such that it can't be pulled past the barb. The hose on my Polaris has never come apart in the nearly 4 years we've been in this house. :)

The nut will not fit over the barb.

The pool installer left it this way and I've tried multiple times over the years. It's always begged the question of what's the point of having the nut?

The nut goes on the FITTING side of the barb, BEFORE the hose is pressed on. Put it on the fitting with the threads facing out towards the barb, THEN push the hose into place and thread the nut onto the very end of the hose.

It sounds like you have the nut slid onto the hose first, then pressing the hose onto the fitting and then tightening the nut towards the fitting. This leaves the nut on the wrong side of the barb and it won't stay in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HarryH3 said:
The nut goes on the FITTING side of the barb, BEFORE the hose is pressed on. Put it on the fitting with the threads facing out towards the barb, THEN push the hose into place and thread the nut onto the very end of the hose.

It sounds like you have the nut slid onto the hose first, then pressing the hose onto the fitting and then tightening the nut towards the fitting. This leaves the nut on the wrong side of the barb and it won't stay in place.

Ahhh, so this thing was put on wrong when installed then. I have an all day meeting today. It'll be dark when I get home, so Wed I'll play with it and take a photo.

thanks.

In case anyone else has a similar problem and stumbles across this thread, below is a picture of the proper nut placement/orientation from this page

polaris_nut.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.