How much sand do I need?

newpoolguyinmo

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Hi All,

We bought a house that came with an 27' AG pool. It has a Pentair Meteor sand filter but I am not certain which size it is or how much sand it needs. The label on the filter shows that it is either 18", 20", or 22" but the label indicating the size was not punched out.

I do know that the 18" takes 65# of #20 silica, the 20" takes 100#, and the 22" takes 150# of sand. After adding 100#, the sand fills the sphere exactly half full. Should the level be higher than this or am I good?

I have been reading on TFP for a while now and bought the TF100 test kit and can't wait to open the pool and start putting the BBB method to work. Thanks for such a great site!!

TripleB4me said:
You can measure the tank diameter to determine which one you have. Also the 18" has a tank height of 27", the 20" is 29" tall and the 22" is 32" tall. Hope this helps.

The height from the base to the top of the tank itself is 25", from the base to the top of the valve handle is ~33". Which measurement are you referring to? I am pretty sure it is either a 20" or 22" filter but thought the sand level might be higher than half-way with the correct amount of sand. If it should be closer to 2/3 full then it has to be a 22" and I need to add another 50# of sand?

Most sand filters want about a foot to 15" from the discharge portion of the multiport to the top of the sand.

The best way to determine which unit you have is to measure the circumference and divide by pi(approx. 3.1416). This will give you the diameter and tell you which Meteor you have.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.