AG Solar Heater Recommendations

irishal

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2009
Edmond, OK
We're looking at putting in a solar heater this year for our AG 30'ft round pool. Looking for some advice on manufacturers from you guys with all the experience. We're in Oklahoma with more than 8hrs a day of full sun. We're really wanting to extend the swim season from mid Apr-Oct.

Cheers.
IrishAl

If you are roof or rack mounting I like the 4ft wide panels with the 2 inch headers (e.g., FAFCO, TechnoSolis, and others) that are often advertised for inground pools, rather than the 2X20ft panels which are often advertised for AGPs. A solar controller unit is well-worth the money. I'm extremely happy with the system I installed (DIY) noted in my signature.

Kelly

depends in the install, but FAFCO Solar bear is a good price/quality type of panel...4x20 one piece...30' round is a lot of water to heat...you will likely need 4+ panels to make a significant difference

I have several sungrabbers and they do very well for me up in the cold country.

I agree that I'd buy more than you need so you can taper off it needed.

Check craigslist, I just got a great deal on some extra panels (I'll be running 8 total, but have less direct sun, and shorter season.)

I'm with Kelly. We used to have the soft rubber style of solar panels and have just upgraded to Vortex panels which appear to be the same as TechnoSolis. They are designed to be left in place over the winter and are warranted for 10 years. What a relief it will be to not have to drag out/store those beasts!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.