high cya

taintn

Sep 8, 2009
tennessee
first post opened pool this week cya of looks like 110 ta 40 calcium hardness 90 ph 7.0 now using intex salt gen. can cya be right after cold winter no chlorine since water got below 55? used pucks last year. thanks for your help oh yeah 15000 gal.vinyle 14 by 28 also ran numbers twice ta of 40

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

That CYA test result is probably correct. Especially if you did it twice and got the same result. Why do you think it may be wrong? Were you expecting it to decrease over the winter? Some pools do, some do not.

It sounds like you know this, but continued use of the pucks will only drive the CYA higher (Sorry, I overlooked that you now have an SWG). I would plan on partial draining to reduce the CYA and get your pool more manageable.

You should raise your TA level to around 70 to 80. I would also lower CYA down to around 90 by replacing water. CYA test results over 100 are not precise and could actually be much higher than you think (or not, its impossible to be sure). By getting CYA down below 100 you can be much more confident of the test results.

taintn said:
Thanks for the quick response was hoping maybe not to drain pool, calc said 67% if I looked at it right. just added salt water looks pretty good thanks again looks like I have some pumping todo.
Lowering your CYA from (estimated) 110 to 90, I'm getting a water replacement of 18% - not 67%.

pumped out about 25% water yesterday, after refill numbers alot better ta80, ph7.4, ch180,cya75, salt 2240 thanks again, any suggestions appreciated know i am a little low going to add 120lbs salt first. great forum!

What is your FC/CC?

It would be helpful if you listed your pool and equipment specs in your sig.
Info on "how to" in first article in Pool School.

How are you testing? Pool Store, Kit (which one), strips?

Recommended levels are in Pool School.

Post back any q's you may have.

btw, welcome to TFP :wave:

The problem with no chlorine is that your salt chlorine generator turns off when the water hits 55 degrees to protect itself. This is done because the cold water can damage the cell when it is producing chlorine. Other than that, the salt chlorine generators are great. The good thing is that when the water is that cold, you want need to add much chlorine to keep your chlorine level sustained in the correct range. Also, try not to use too many chlorine tablets in the winter because each tablet contains 3 oz. of cyanuric acid (conditioner). This keeps it stabilized and since there isn't much evaporation or splash out of water in your pool when its that cold, it can build up the conditioner too high come swimming season. Instead, add the conditioner by adding the granular so you can control it more closely and just use liquid chlorine when your water is below 55 degrees. I hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.