Blue Pearl stopped working/died

mac4lyfe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2007
Houston, Texas
I've had this blue pearl for 2 years and it ran well last week. Well yesterday I put the cleaner in the pool and hit the green start button and nothing happened. The green light illuminated for about 3 seconds then cut off. Subsequent button pushes all same result. Green light cut's off after about 2 seconds. If I pull the plug out of the main control unit then hit the green button, it stay's lit with the cord disconnected from the unit.

Has the motor died? Impeller? Any way to trouble shoot? I think the Pearl came with a 1 year warranty. I haven't been able to call Watertech just yet as by the time I get off work they've been closed.

I am NOT a Blue Pearl expert, BUT I just had the same problem with a Blue Diamond. Mine was only 2 months old and quit for the second time. I was told to make sure the impellar move freely (wasn't full of debri and stuck). It wasn't. I continued to work with the on off switch until I got the "treads" moving but no impellar action still. I read on another Forum that the impellar also contains the electronics and that could be the problem. Bottem line, I finally got to return the unit where I purchased it. I am looking to go back to old technology! :(

Well, I sent the cleaner off to Aquatron to be repaired. Of course it was just out of warranty. Here's part of the response I received...

I replaced a pump motor on your cleaner and it works fine. However, your power supply top has a crack on it and all the screws holding it together have broken threads on the casing. Meaning the only way to close the power supply is with zip ties. Along with the crack on its top, this is a real safety hazard and the only solution we can recommend is to purchase a new power supply.
A rough estimate for your cost is $820. Since it is so expensive, please let me know what you want to do. We can sell you a new cleaner for $650, which comes with a one year warranty.

So now the question is do I but the replacement cleaner or go with a different brand altogether??

I've had this blue pearl for 2 years and it ran well last week. Well yesterday I put the cleaner in the pool and hit the green start button and nothing happened. The green light illuminated for about 3 seconds then cut off. Subsequent button pushes all same result. Green light cut's off after about 2 seconds. If I pull the plug out of the main control unit then hit the green button, it stay's lit with the cord disconnected from the unit.

Has the motor died? Impeller? Any way to trouble shoot? I think the Pearl came with a 1 year warranty. I haven't been able to call Watertech just yet as by the time I get off work they've been closed.

Did you ever find out what the problem is? Mine is doing the exact same thing and is about 5 years old. I am guessing the cheapest option may just be a new unit, but would like to know if there is a cheaper fix.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your cleaner.

I am getting the same problem.

Power supply turns on and then off after about 3 seconds.

Power supply stays on without cleaner connected.

Have had no problems with the cleaner for 4 years until now.

Figured I would at least take it apart tomorrow and check the impeller and motor.

Blake

This is the reason I am not getting another blue diamond/pearl etc. Too many parts and too hard to repair. I will deal with less advanced technology to be able to swap a motor myself for 300 or less. Blue diamond has a great warranty, but mine spent half its time in the shop with broken motors, broken power supply etc. Only when I finally just left the stupid thing in the pool did it not break anymore until the motor finally seized. Its more for one motor on my current unit then it is for a whole motor unit on the dolphins.

Problem with the blue diamond type cleaners is it could be the power supply, it could be a motor, hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. They are terrific cleaners, but the parts and trying to replace anything is not made to be done at home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.