Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas line hookup Houston area.

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas line hookup Houston area.

Hey all, curious if anyone knows.
    I am in the far far north houston area and we have centerpoint gas, formerly entex I believe.

Any clue on cost to upgrade gas meter for 400k btu raypak heater?
    I called and asked and could not get an answer. Just curious if some of you have done this in my area and what the cost is?

Plumbing from heater to gas meter is done by PB, so all it needs is a connect and upgrade I guess.

Thanks much.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas line hookup Houston area.

I also have Centerpoint. The PB connected the heater to my house gas line and had no issues as far as I know. What are you upgrading? Are you sure you need this?
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Where are you in the far north. I am located in the spring area. Have you called places that install gas heater to get a price?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Most gas companies will upgrade your meter for free. Too much demand from an undersized appliance creates problems for them, so upgrades are worth it for them. I'm in Missouri, and ours was upgraded just last summer. No charge.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gkruske
    Most gas companies will upgrade your meter for free. Too much demand from an undersized appliance creates problems for them, so upgrades are worth it for them. I'm in Missouri, and ours was upgraded just last summer. No charge.
    True, same here in New Jersey. Bigger gas meter = More gas, which is more $$ for gas company so i doubt they will charge you anything to upgrade your meter.
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

6. Back To Top    #6

I am being told by my PB that the current gas meter will be starved for gas with the 400k btu heater, and that I need to call centerpoint for an upgrade. The PB will not do more than run the gas line from the heater to the meter.

According to the PB and my neighbor who had a heater connected for his pool last year, the cost will be around $350-400.

That just seems a bit high to upgrade one part and make a 6 inch connection. Anyone in the Houston area who works for centerpoint or knows the real skinny on this?

Maybe I can hire my own connection upgrade person?

7. Back To Top    #7

Ill be shocked if they charge you anything to upgrade your meter... and im pretty sure only your local gas company can upgrade the meter.
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

Some gas companies will upgrade the meter for free, others charge a small service fee, and others charge quite a bit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Small update, Centerpoint (Entex) Houston charges $350 for a meter upgrade.

Had to pay before they would schedule.