Opening pool soon

RiFisher

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2010
Southeastern NC
I need help opening my pool this year. I did not cover it during the winter and it is green and I am sure it has leaves and what every in the bottom. In the past I have started opening by adding clorine and trying to get the debrie out of the bottom with a leaf net. If I understand what I have read here the clorine will do no good unless I get the trash out of the bottom first. Also I know you want test figures but the only test kit I have is one that I got at walmart last year It is the HTH like the one in pool school. Can I test the water when it is green with algae and get acurate results. I am sure I will many more questions but these are the first two.

Haven't figured out the signature yet but I have a 26500 gal vinyl pool,1hp hayward pump,sand filter.

I'll try to take some pictures after work to night and post.

Hi There...

Yes, you can use the HTH kit, but it won't be very helpful during the shock process. The PH/TA tests are accurate. Do you have any CYA testing solution left in the kit?

Start by scooping all the crud, get the pump going, then after several hours you can test the PH and TA, and CYA if you have solution.

Otherwise, you can head to the pool store and have them test for you, if there's one nearby?

We'll help you get it cleared up, no worries! :)

Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes I do still have solution to do the test. This evening I went all the way around with the leaf net and got a lot of leaves and crud out of it. I will do it again tomorrow and get the pump going. I will post test results asap. The weather is getting warm down hear and I would like to try get the algae under control before it gets to hot.

Thanks again.

Sorry it took so long to get back with the numbers. cya is 0 ph is 7.8 ta is 70ppm
There is still a lot of crud in the bottom of the pool that goes through the leaf rack. Should I vacume to waste before I do anything else.
I still have a bag of sodium bicarbonate about 40 pounds left from last year.
I am not in a big hurry as we will not swim in the pool until the end of may anyway. I guess what I am trying to say is the most economical way to clean this up is the way I need to go.

Thanks in advance.

Yes I do have a walmart about 20 miles away. The filter seems to be working fine as fare I know at this point. Water is going throught the skimmer baskets and I am watching the pressure closely and backwashing often. Should I take a sample of the water to the pool store to verify my numbers.
I spent almost $700 on pool cemicals last year. Should it cost me this much if I use the BBB metod.

Gosh no! I spent about $50-75 last season. My pool is open April-September, I keep a solar cover on which reduces FC loss due to sunlight, and our swimmer load is probably "light". So YMMV somewhat but I'd guess you can have a normal season for around $200 a year or so?

Cleaning up a swamp will cost you more than a pool that starts clear tho...so factor that in but nowhere near $700... :shock:

The HTH kit PH/TA tests are accurate enough, so is the CYA test. Let's work with those for now, no need to go to the pool store yet. Hang on to the Bicarb - your TA is great where it is.

Ideally you need one of the recommended test kits, because they can do multiple CYA tests (which you'll need to be able to monitor as you increase that level) and the FAS-DPD chlorine test which an test chlorine up to 50 ppm. What's nice about this test is it's similar to the TA test - you count drops looking for a color change instead of "comparing shades of colors" like the ph test. It's very precise and easy to use. I'm on my third year for my kit, I've had to purchase extra CYA solution and FAS-DPD testing solution but that's it, so it lasts a long time, worth the investment. If you do decide to go with a kit I highly recommend the TF100 XL because it has those extra solutions I mentioned and it's important when cleaning up a swamp.

When I started with TFP I had the HTH kit and I managed to get by that summer. But once I had the "good" kit the following year I could see what I was missing. With your OTO chlorine test you can only test Total Chlorine up to 5. You can use a "dilution method" to test up to 20 but it does lose some accuracy. But you still can't really differentiate between TC and CCs (CCs are bad) and many people have a hard time determining the shades of yellow (like me.)

So if you can't swing the good kit we can try to make do with your kit and the pool store (but you have to promise not to buy anything from them LOL- except the specific things we tell you :))

From Walmart, stock up about 10 large jugs of the Great Value 6% bleach - the regular unscented variety. This will be a starting point - you will eventually need more.

In the pool department aisle, pick up two jugs of HTH Stabilizer - it looks like this:
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.co....html?osCsid=f574c7697750470e9a192413f56585d5

I'll tell you how to add it later.... :wink:

You will also need some Muratic Acid, perhaps a quart of the 31% strength. This is usually found in paint departments or some pool stores. You may have to ask for it. Some "Lowes" types places keep it by their pool sections too. There are varying strengths so verify the ingredient label contents.

Ok so after you have these three things, post back and we'll help you figure out the next steps.

Thank you very much.
If I took a sample of my pool water to the pool store I would probably have to have a dump truck to bring back every thing they would tell me to put in my pool. LOL
I will vacume one or twice and get the chemicals and let you when I am ready.
(Not buy anything from the pool store!!! LOL this might be fun.)
Is this where I need to get the test kit. http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/
Again thank you very much

RiFisher said:
Thank you very much.
If I took a sample of my pool water to the pool store I would probably have to have a dump truck to bring back every thing they would tell me to put in my pool. LOL
I will vacume one or twice and get the chemicals and let you when I am ready.
(Not buy anything from the pool store!!! LOL this might be fun.)
Is this where I need to get the test kit. http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/
Again thank you very much
Don't make the same mistake I did!!

I bought the test kit and became a TFP supporter a few weeks later. If you're a supporter, you get a discount on the test kit. And you're gonna want to pay to keep this place online - worth every cent.

Join first, order kit later. You'll only be delayed a couple hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an update. Vaccumed the pool to waste last night and tonight. Getting a few leaves and a lot of green crud off the bottom. I am working this weekend but I will probably vaccume one or two more times.

Ordered the TF100XL today hope I get it tomorrow.

I picked up the clorine,stablizer and the muriatic acid and have that on hand. I think I am ready but if I need to check it every hour or two probably need to wait till Monday morning to get started with any of the chemicals.

Thought I would try to post a picture just for reference this is the pool on 4/8/2010 pump has been running 1 1/2 days at this point.

100_0035a.jpg

Great! :goodjob: You sound prepared!

The more often you check and add chlorine the quicker it should go - so at this point it can't hurt to wait till Monday, LOL (pea soup for sure!) :)

If you decide to start somewhat over the next two days and you post and get no response from me - I'm not ignoring you - I have a busy weekend, I won't be around much until Monday morning. :wink:

From what I have read in pool school I need to add five of the 1.4 gal jugs of chlorine that I got a walmart to the pool. I am looking for a fc of 10. Should I wait until just before dark to add the chlorine or do it now. Your input on the steps I need to take would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks. I'm not really used to this I always went to the pool store and just did what they told me to. This is a learning process for me so I may ask a lot of questions and ask for a lot of advice. One of my goals for this year is not to go to the pool store unless I have to.

The pool calculator says to add 6.6 pounds of cyanuric acid and pool school says to put it in a sock and put it in the skimmer basket and not backwash for one week. At present I am backwashing at least 2 times a day.

Please advise.

I would do 2-3 pounds in tube sock at a time, you can tie off more than one tube sock at a time, just use thick string and tie it off to something heavy on the pool deck to keep it in place. Make sure you leave the filter running 24/7 while the CYA is dissolving.

Test your PH again! If your PH is still 7.8 I would go ahead and lower it down to 7.4 using Muratic Acid. Pour the acid very slowly in front of the return and leave the filter running, let it circulate a couple of hours and test the PH again, see if it has dropped.

Then tonight, you can add the bleach after the sun is off the pool. You likely won't have any FC left by 10pm :) so you could test again and add more if necessary to reach 10 FC (based on the color of your pool it will be gone by morning, LOL) (*never add muratic acid and bleach at the same time*).

... but Jason's right once the CYA is in the water you won't lose the FC as quickly during the daytime and you'll make quicker progress with the shocking process. :goodjob:

Sorry didn't see your post till just now.

I have the cya going in the pool if the socks are empty in the morning will be about 5 pounds.

Will test the cya and ph again in the morning and post the results.

Will follow your instructions if I need to adjust.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.