Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flocculant and Clarifier Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Flocculant and Clarifier Question

I am new to the board. I have just taken over the pool duties. Economy has forced us out of our pool guy. Great information on this forum.
    Just opened the pool it was green. Killed the algae. All the numbers are in range but pool is milky cloudy. I was told to get a flocculant but instead I purchased a clarifier (my bad). Am I correct to understand that the clarifier helps bind the particles to better filter and the flocculant binds and they fall to the bottom of the pool to be vacuumed?
    My next question is now that I've used the clarifier can I use the flocculant in addition?
    Many thanks for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flocculant and Clarifier Question

Others will be along shortly, but the short answer is that you don't need either. Save your money! Continued shocking and filtering will clear up your water.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Return clarifier if you can. Neither product is necessary for proper pool maintaince.
    Edit: I just re-read your post and see that you already used the clarifier .

If your pool is still cloudy you are probably not done shocking. Read "How to Shock your pool" in Pool School for more details. You'll need to maintain shock level until the water is clear, if you do not have an FAS-DPD test (to confirm the algae is in fact, dead).

Are you testing the water yourself or using the Pool store? Do you have any test results you can share? We can advise you better if you post them.

You can add your pool specs/equipment to your signature. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by marthaps
    All the numbers are in range but pool is milky cloudy. .
    Welcome to TFP

Please post some test results...it may just be some dead algae that needs to get filtered out, but can't be sure due to lack of info. Saying #'s are "in range" doesn't give enough info to enable us to give you solid advice.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Vacuum the dead algae on the floor to waste. Brush the walls. That will speed things up quite nicely. After brushing and things settle, vacuum again, if it's heavy, then to waste.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.